Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ebb11 - Relneth's Repairs (Claimed, Finished)
05-09-2008, 01:49 AM,

So, armor bits have been confirmed to be broken, NPCs have been added to the generic faction, and it is now possible to pick and choose which piece of equipment to give Okan-Shei in his second quest. Much easier than I thought, I must admit. I locked the door to the storage room, requiring the keys found on Okan and Relneth to open. Okan's potion chest (enables upon finishing his second quest) is locked with the same key, but both of their regular merchant chests remain Very Hard locks instead. Haven't gone and implemented the scrap moving. Haven't even looked into how easy/hard that'd be to do. If it sounds like an awesome and nifty idea, lemmi know and I'll look into it, otherwise, ready for review, Round 2

:banana:
05-09-2008, 02:10 AM,

I was about to post this, but I see you've already posted another ESP. Smile I'll have another look tomorrow.

black[/hr]
Quote:Originally posted by ImaJunryou
From 3pm to... I don't remember off the top of my head... Later in the evening, Relneth is down in his little shop-like area, pondering away what to do about the armor. That's the purpose of the ponderitem. I couldn't find any sort of 'swing-a-repair-hammer' animation to have him do instead, but admittedly, I'm not sure where to look for that sort of thing ^^ PonderItem was an easy second-place. If you've alternate suggestions, I'm interested Big Grin
I'll have a look at that ponder item. I'm mainly worried about what happens if the player sees it in an inventory in-game.

Far as I can tell, Relneth's quest works like a charm. Anything stand out as not making sense? I went through it, all the way to the last repeatable reward, and you get the quest and rewards reliably each and every time.
I didn't notice anything that didn't make sense. Smile

I added 3 chests, all overlapping in the exact same space, in the storage room at the bottom of the stairs. They're disabled by default, but I was curious on if they're positioned ok. I didn't notice any clipping into the adjacent crates myself, but you've a much finer eye to those sorta details =)
Maybe you'd be able to just move them somewhere inaccessible to the player? Confusedhrug: I think that would be a better alternative than having them overlap. I didn't notice it, however.

Also, I have Relneth's and Okan's selling chests clearly visible to the player, with locks that can be picked open on them =/ I was considering locking the door to that room with a Needs a Key lock, using the key on Relneth and Okan, so that a resourceful player could get some ill-gotten gains. Is that alright? Should the chests be completely inaccessible? What about making it a bit harder than simply pickpocketing the lizard? Separate keys for the chest, hidden somewhere in the shop, maybe? Or is it a-ok as it is?
I would prefer the chest be inaccessible, but there should probably be something worth stealing where the old chest was. Another chest containing some decent goodies. Big Grin

On a similar vein, though this may be more work than I imagine, what about having the scrap that's given to Relneth be moved to some of the crates in the room at the bottom of the stairs? The crates respawn with junk, and I can set them so that their contents aren't sold by Okan or Relneth. Having the scraps moved to the containers, rather than simply vanished from the world, would be interesting, me thinks. What to do about security though... Would be awefully easy for a resourceful character to simply deplete the stores, and continue to hand the same scrap back and forth... More keys? More locks? A rabid Guard Rat? Simply don't move the scrap? Also, most shop NPCs follow the player when they're out of sight. I can't seem to get Okan-Shei or Relneth to exhibit this behavior... How does one go about that, as it'd help a lot with curbing theft.
I think it would probably be best to simply not do anything with the scrap after the quest segments are finished. I think it would only add to the complexity of the modding and increase the chance of bugs occuring.

As for the shop keeper following the player, I haven't given that much thought. I've never worried about it myself, but if you want to have the shopkeeper follow the player around, I'd have a look to see how Bethesda did it. Be very careful not to contaminate the ESP though.

Upon looking at my armor bits, their health is already reduced. Orcish is 800 down from 1200, and the iron is something like 33 instead of 200 or so... Did you mean something else?
I saw the orcish armour's value and I thought it was pretty high. Could it be decreased to about 50 maybe? Also, I don't remember if you did this or not, but if the armour rating and value haven't been changed, it would probably be a good idea to do so to reflect the state of the armour.

Also, for the Generic faction, and also Culumaira's Mage Guild faction, any particular ranks? Or just leave them at 0?
Leave it at 0. Smile
05-09-2008, 05:40 PM,

I'm not really clear on the PonderItem appearing in the inventory, to be honest. I could try to make a Ponder Item clone that's a spiffy pair of shoes instead of a misc Item, and make it invisible to the player that way.

I'll go ahead and move all the merchant chests outside the house. As far as some lootable goodies... a mix of iron, steel, chain, leather, and fur sound good? What about any of the Silgrad armors? I think I noticed some delicious looking netch at some point, or was that just a crazed dream? Just a crate or two with a chance of a few of those various armors appearing? I'll toy with it tonight, and see what magic I can come up with Big Grin

Armor will be thoroughly broken :goodjob: I think I already reduced the armor count, but I'll double check just to make sure. I'm also going to go through all the armor in his work area and break it a little bit. Reduce the current HP value of all the items to somewhere around 20-50%. They're there to be fixed for a reason, after all.

I'll take another look at Jensine tonight. When I first made Relneth and Okan, they followed me like a hawk. Somewhere in there, they simply stopped doing so. It's strange.

Oh, another thing: Some time back you removed all the collison boxes around the stairwell. This has resulted in Relneth falling down it, and simply popping up through the floor rather than walking up the stairs. Mainly a visual annoyance, but all the same, anything to be done about it? Is there a railing for that sort of staircase? Or just let him pop around his house, as its not hurting anything? I'm also considering removing the ash yam in the bowl next to the fireplace, as it is constantly falling out and endlessly rolling on the floor Sad Thoughts?

Should have a new ESP up tonight without incident Smile
05-09-2008, 06:58 PM,

Okay, I'll wait for the next ESP. Smile

Oh, another thing: Some time back you removed all the collison boxes around the stairwell. This has resulted in Relneth falling down it, and simply popping up through the floor rather than walking up the stairs. Mainly a visual annoyance, but all the same, anything to be done about it? Is there a railing for that sort of staircase? Or just let him pop around his house, as its not hurting anything?
I think it's always kind of weird when you want to jump down somewhere, but then find out you can't because of some unseen force. I don't know what you mean by Relneth popping up through the floor. Do you mean he just appears somewhere?

I'm also considering removing the ash yam in the bowl next to the fireplace, as it is constantly falling out and endlessly rolling on the floor Sad Thoughts?
I think I remember that ingredient model giving me problems as well, when it just rolls in one spot back and forth. I tried it just now and it still acts that way. I'll inform Razorwing, and maybe he'll find some way of fixing that.

I'm not really clear on the PonderItem appearing in the inventory, to be honest. I could try to make a Ponder Item clone that's a spiffy pair of shoes instead of a misc Item, and make it invisible to the player that way.
I assume you've playtested a situation where Relneth dies? Does the ponder item show up in his inventory?
05-09-2008, 11:15 PM,

What I mean by popping through the floor is he'll be downstairs in the back room, behind the staircase, and will go to come upstairs. He'll walk around the staircase about halfway, where you can see him if you're standing at the top. From there he'll either continue on his way without pause, go right up the stairs and stand, ready to do business, or he'll suddenly be standing next to the table and fireplace, upstairs, without touching a step. Like the game just flings him up there because he's taking too long to make the trip or something. Then, occasionally, when he walks from the fireplace to, say, near the doorway at the entrance to the shop, he'll slip and fall down the stairwell. Rather than walking back up the stairs, he just blinks to where he was heading, with no actual steps in between. It looks strange. It doesn't happen too often, to be honest, but standing and looking at the man for about 3 solid hours (that salvage quest is a doozy to test beginning to end Big Grin), it happened several times. It is exacerbated if you stand in his way when he's walking, as there's just no room between everything on the walls and the staircase for two people. All the same, I understand and completely agree with you on the confusion and annoyance of unseen forces preventing an otherwise sensible maneuver. It is a matter of a simple visual annoyance vs. a phyiscal restriction on movement. I assume there's no railing for that sort of staircase? Big Grin Dangerous for kids! . . . Oh. Hey. Maybe that's why they're never seen... Kept hidden from view until they're old enough to walk up stairs without railings...

Far as killing Relneth, I thought I set him as essential... I'll double check that. No, I've never killed him. I have pickpocketed him for his key, though, and the PonderItem is visible... I'll look into the shoe thing and also into if you can find the silly items on mages at the university. Maybe Bethesda did something sneaky that I missed when dealing with them.

Anyway, gonna be heading home in an hour or two, start on hammering out these things shortly after that, and should have another ESP up shortly after that. Yay!

Edit:

Stealing from Relneth, the PonderItem shows up as <Missing Name>... I'll work on an alternative more later. Bedtime now. Sorry for the lack of ESP =(

Edit Again!

Here's the ESP. No more PonderItem. I swapped it with a copy of 'Guide to Ald'Ruhn' instead. Now Relneth reads a fair amount, instead of pondering in his study. Turns out that the PonderItem was sorta icky to begin with. There's a single NPC (head of Bruma Mage's Guild) to uses the item, and it appears on her person if she dies, or is pickpocketed. The official plugin, Smuggler's Cave, changes the name of it to Ring, and makes it a quest item, so if the player picks it up, they can never drop it Sad

So, yeah. Simply removed it, swapped it with a book.

Far as nifty loot instead of merchant chests, I figured being able to break into his workroom, and have access to some bonemold, among other armor bits, was a nice prize for a place like Ebbedin. So nothing particularly amazing in the storage room.

Everything should be shiny now.

Enjoy!
05-12-2008, 03:43 AM,

No, there is no railing for the model.

I had a look at the ESP and made a few quick and probably final changes.

First, I added the quest icons. Next, I updated the model paths for some of the chests you added - the folder path has changed since you created the entries. It was easy enough to fix. I also repositioned the stool references for Okan and Relneth (there's a bit more room for walking now). I changed the lock on the storeroom door from "Needs a Key" to "Hard". I think "Needs a Key" should be reserved for quests.

I need to check one last thing with you. You named several of the object references in your interior without your modding abbreviation. I fixed this, but I need to know if the chests OkanP1, OkanP2, or OkanP3 were referenced anywhere other than in the result scripts of Okan's "Reward" topic in his second quest. If not, all the attached ESP needs is to be cleaned (if it's even necessary, I haven't looked yet).

It is an excellent interior and it has excellent quests. :goodjob: What do you plan to do now? =)

EDIT: Whoops! Forgot the attachment:
05-12-2008, 04:21 AM,

Crap! Sorry about the potion chests! Blush

They should only be in the result scripts, yeah.

Thanks for your kind words Big Grin

Next up, I was gonna take a look at a cave of some sort, try my hand at that new tileset. I was also following the lighthouse claim in Ebbedin a while ago, and noticed the previous claimant seemed to have lost interest. Figured maybe I'd give that a look. For the immediate future over the next day or two, I'm gonna take a short break, and look around. Been a while since I've played the game. It would be nice to take a good look around to regain some perspective beyond Relneth's workshop Smile
05-12-2008, 04:33 AM,

The lighthouse was completed by kingevil, if I remember correctly. Still lots of other interesting interior claims floating around though. Wink It's cool that you're interested in caves; the Dungeon board might be worth a peek. Smile

I'm about to go to bed, so I'll finish up tomorrow.

EDIT: I need to make a few changes to Culumaira's AI, and THEN it's done. Smile
05-13-2008, 05:30 PM,

Very nice modding and certainly an interesting location! :goodjob:
Dum loquor, hora fugitĀ  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
05-13-2008, 07:49 PM,

Sandor: Thanks Big Grin

TID: What did I mess up on, with Culumaira? So that I might avoid it, or at least check for it, in the future?