Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forget GameBryo Guys... Skyrim is using a new engine
12-13-2010, 12:26 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by jucklesjenk
Jeez ... when it gets released we've got a guaranteed month or so of no development just to learn how to use the tools.
That month or so gets us to where we were in about 2003: the CS and nothing else. Lady N's right: the problem is file formats. It's going to be a year at least while those in the community who think in hex get their heads round the new formats. And with the Gamebryo engine up for sale I don't think the new engine will use nif. I very much doubt new mods will have custom meshes until early 2013.
Morcroft Darkes
12-13-2010, 12:55 AM,

I do not pretend to understand modeling. The extent of my knowledge is use.

But would it be so hard to convert existing models to a new format once the format is understood and a converter can be established?

Merry Christmas
Charles
12-13-2010, 01:00 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Zurke
But would it be so hard to convert existing models to a new format once the format is understood and a converter can be established?
No - absolutely not - but that's exactly the problem. We just have to wait for the clever chaps (and probably chapesses) who wrote niftools, nifskope and the like to work out the bits and bytes and create the conversion tools. And I give that 6 - 9 months.
Morcroft Darkes
12-13-2010, 01:27 AM,

Yeah,

2012 will be one heck of a long year...
12-13-2010, 01:49 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by AnImpatientFan
Yeah,

or "one hack of a long year" Smile

Merry Christmas
Charles
12-13-2010, 01:54 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Zurke
Yeah,

or "one hack of a long year" Smile

Merry Christmas
Charles

:lmao:

Win
12-13-2010, 08:58 AM,

I guess it gives us all a chance to actually play the game and make plans, anyway.
Morcroft Darkes
12-13-2010, 09:04 AM,

Maybe Bethesda will give us the modelling tools from the word go.
Who knows the extent that Skyrim will be moddable.
12-13-2010, 09:10 AM,

I think we have no choice but to wait and see. In any case, it's not as big a problem as you might think if there is a delay. Morrowind still has an amazingly active modding community and it's nearly 8 years old. A delay in the switch to TES5 will only extend the life of our Oblivion projects.
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
12-13-2010, 10:15 PM,

Maybe Bethesda will give us the modelling tools from the word go.
Who knows the extent that Skyrim will be moddable.

I should think so. Bethesda has to have noticed that there is still a large and active community modding for Oblivion-they'll want to retain that community as much as possible (partly to make cash), so I'm betting they'll distribute modding tools a few months after the game's release.

Either that, or they're out of touch with reality :boo: