Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forget GameBryo Guys... Skyrim is using a new engine
12-13-2010, 10:33 PM,

@ Herman: Welcome to our forums!
:wave:

I agree with you, although it's not a given, it is more likely than not that there will be a TESV CS.
12-13-2010, 11:15 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Lady Nerevar
I'm mostly worried about modeling. It took a long time to figure out .nif

Once we figure out the new format though, there's nothing to stop us converting nifs to obj, and then over into whatever format ES V uses, correct?
12-13-2010, 11:35 PM,

I believe that should be possible, although I suspect that would mean we would have to remake the collision meshes. Still, that would probably be preferable to making new meshes from scratch.
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
12-14-2010, 09:20 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Herman
Quote:Originally posted by AnImpatientFan
Maybe Bethesda will give us the modelling tools from the word go.
Who knows the extent that Skyrim will be moddable.

I should think so. Bethesda has to have noticed that there is still a large and active community modding for Oblivion-they'll want to retain that community as much as possible (partly to make cash), so I'm betting they'll distribute modding tools a few months after the game's release.

Either that, or they're out of touch with reality :boo:

I agree that it seems unlikely but the ability of big business to lose touch with their customers will likely never cease to amaze. After all that "nudity mod" nonsense it really wouldn't surprise me if the reason for the engine change turned out actually to be an attempt to lock it down and stop modding.

I really hope I am being unduly pessimistic but I, for one, will not be buying Skyrim until the new CS is released. I'm not wasting my time on the game if I'll never be able to mod it.
Morcroft Darkes
12-14-2010, 09:45 AM,

Bethesda would have shot themselves if they made the engine unmoddable.
That would kill of a large section of the fanbase.

Also, Bethesda updated the CS to 1.2 SE some time after the nudity mod crap. So it shows they still support molding.
12-14-2010, 05:23 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by TheImperialDragon
@ Herman: Welcome to our forums!
:wave:

I agree with you, although it's not a given, it is more likely than not that there will be a TESV CS.

Thanks TID Big Grin
12-14-2010, 09:10 PM,

It's a coin with two sides. Modellers attract the community of players, but surely Beth don't want competition who will offer their 2$ DLCs like horse armour for free.
12-14-2010, 09:29 PM,

maybe...

but by the time the modders work out how to do that, loads of people will have bought DLCs anyway, plus usually the Bethesda DLCs are loads better quality than the vast majority of unofficial mods.
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again.

[Image: mini-Skyrim2.jpg]
12-14-2010, 09:54 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by jucklesjenk
maybe...

but by the time the modders work out how to do that, loads of people will have bought DLCs anyway, plus usually the Bethesda DLCs are loads better quality than the vast majority of unofficial mods.

Horse Armor -cough- Horse Armor -cough-
12-14-2010, 10:14 PM,

Jucklesjenk, I disagree. I don't think DLCs from Oblivion were better quality then mods. Except for Kotn, they were house mods with uninspired start.

What I meant is that they'll probably hold their exporter for themselves, at least for some time. I hope they'll surprise me.