Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forget GameBryo Guys... Skyrim is using a new engine
12-14-2010, 10:17 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by pero
Jucklesjenk, I disagree. I don't think DLCs from Oblivion were better quality then mods. Except for Kotn, they were house mods with uninspired start.

What I meant is that they'll probably hold their exporter for themselves, at least for some time. I hope they'll surprise me.

Shivering Isle was great as well.
Everything else was a waste of $2

Moved to TESV Skyrim boards.
12-14-2010, 10:20 PM,

TBH I thought that the castle and the assassin homes were pretty cool, although I guess they could be well made by modders

But beth did a great job with both KOTN and SI
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again.

[Image: mini-Skyrim2.jpg]
12-14-2010, 10:22 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by jucklesjenk
TBH I thought that the castle and the assassin homes were pretty cool, although I guess they could be well made by modders

I bought all of them and the only one I found to be remotely cool was the Thieves Den one. Mainly because you could sneak into the Anvil Castle private rooms from your house.
12-14-2010, 10:33 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by jucklesjenk

They could be definitely well made by modders, I think. KotN and SI were the only ones with any substantial new content, so no wonder they're by far the most highly rated.
12-14-2010, 10:54 PM,

SI is great, but I don't put it in the same basket with other DLCs. SI is a full expansion, KOTN is a nice new questline, other should have been released for free as official mods (like those that were released for Morrowind). That's my opinion.
12-25-2010, 09:33 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by AnImpatientFan
Maybe Bethesda will give us the modelling tools from the word go.
Who knows the extent that Skyrim will be moddable.

Sorry, but it sounds like some "theory of conspiracy". It would be very irrational from Bethesda not to release the CS. In the age of mmorpg's the vitality of ES series depends on the possibility of modding. I don't know if any survey was ever made, but i guess the modders community is about 25% of customers.

About the models format - Bethesda is going to use an engine called "Tech 5" from id Software. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech_5 ) so it may be an upgraded version of md2/md3 used in the Quake series
12-25-2010, 09:38 PM,

Skyrim is not using IDTech5.
Bethesda is using their own home grown engine.

Scroll down to paragraph eight.

Besides IDTech5 can't do very big open worlds.
12-25-2010, 10:24 PM,

Oh, You're right. I misunderstood the latest news on TEXNexus. May this new engine be better than the previous. Maybe there will be no interiors/exteriors system, and entire houses, caves etc will be a part of worldspace (i.e like in Gothic or Risen). Actually there's a bug with buildings placed in the exteriors - if You stay under the roof of a stable or something, then rain or snow falls through the roof. Another bug is one level of water for entire worldspace, theres no possibility of making pools or aqueducts (if only the Nords would have builded any of those Big Grin) I hope this bugs will be removed in the newest engine.
12-25-2010, 10:37 PM,

That would mean that snow and rain would need physics. That would hurt performance a great deal.
Right now rain is just a two dimensional layer projected onto the screen. Same with snow.
You could proabably make a pile of Snow that disspeared when it wasn't snowing though. That would be the most simple way to make the environment dynamic.
12-25-2010, 10:55 PM,

Yeah, growing or melting piles of snow, freezing and melting surfaces of lakes and rivers and puddles of water leaving mud on characters boots - that would be great!!!

I wonder if the rain problem could be solved without physics, but as a volume texture which simply doesn't appear in some parts of space (marked by additional 3d object)

Sorry for my little offtop, all is just a scpeculation about "what may happen"

Happy Yule to all of You!