Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello From Planet Vista
02-25-2007, 06:44 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by IAMTHEEMPEROR
I'm staying with good old XP for a while. Vista now is a little buggy, all things are the moment they're released. XP wasn't bugless when it came out, but it's fine now. Oblivion, it had bugs too until patch 1 came out and fixed most of them. I'm going to hold off on Vista for a while until next year or so.
I agree :goodjob: except idk, probably a few years for me
Quote:A_flyboy: p.s. teabagging banana! ==>:bananarock:<== oh no a michal jackson class noob!!!!!!
final reclaimer: woohoo MC teabag time
Quote:Arbiter
Hmm.... the Guar Chief speaks of epic en devour. Big Grin
02-25-2007, 07:50 AM,

From what I read in newspapers over here, Vista's main strength was that it looked better, but that it demanded so much computer resources that only a fraction of all comps could run it without problems. Add to that a few annoying bugs (according to the articles). Naah... I wouldn't switch to it even if it was free, I prefer my computer to work as fast as possible.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
02-25-2007, 08:22 AM,

Razorwing, that is incorrect, the issue is primitive drivers and individuals who are inept when it comes to computers.

You have the freedom to change resource consumption, vista is truly a god send if you know how to use it.
The soul's condition is learning to fly
Condition grounded, but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Toung-tied and twisted, just an Earth-bound misfit, I
02-25-2007, 09:36 PM,

as to the resourse hit it dosent bother me cause it actuly makes my processer much beter as it can act out its full 64 bit nature rather than being supressed
Sincerly
Green Cutlass
02-25-2007, 11:04 PM,

Keep in mind that your 64 bit CPU isn't being "suppressed" by a 32 bit OS. The 64 bit architecture makes it able to use 64 bit variables, but a 32 bit OS can't support them or programs that use them. At the moment, 64 bit variables have to be split up into two 32 bit variables, which isn't that common. However, we have been splitting 128 bit variables for ages. Big Grin

There's just a tiny little piece of the processor that isn't being used at the moment. Furthermore, keep in mind that not all versions of Vista are the 64 bit version. You can tell what version you have by looking at the same screen that gives you your computer's score.

Now then. I was told that if you disable Aero, it still keeps that stuff in RAM permanently even if you flush the RAM. I'm going to test that...

I switched to Windows Classic and rebooted. It was using 41% of physical RAM before I restarted, but I had Trillian open. I'll turn on Aero and reboot again, noting the Physical Memory percentage.

EDIT: First reboot was botched. I forgot to disable some startup progrums. The memory usage was down to 28%, though!

Second reboot: Physical memory usage at 28%, eventualy leveled off to 24%. Keep in mind I have Symantec All-Your-CPU-Time-Are-Belong-To-Us OEM Ultra Holy Cats That's Taking a Lot of RAM Edition running. One of it's services was taking 39,000K of RAM before settling down... looks like when it settled down it wasn't so bad. When is that blasted ZoneAlarm making a Vista firewall?

EDIT: Started Aero. RAM usage went up to 27%. Rebooting...

EDIT: Upon reboot, it started using up 42% of Physical memory, but it quickly tapered off to 30%. It appears that Aero takes 5% of 2 gigs of RAM, and indeed removes itself from memory when you reboot.

One last edit: I uninstalled Norton. Hehe, my running process number went for 51 to 45. X-D My physical memory usage with Aero running went down to 22%!
.:.::..::: Zarf - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbU_YqGZF5Y"]WARNING: Do not fall down mountains[/url] :::..::.:.