Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayoring a small settlement
06-26-2006, 09:51 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by FLESH
Anything I can do to stop the floor models fadeing so quickly? Its not a major problem just a little annoying.

Just a suggestion.
Why not use the object "CollisionBox01" from the Static list for floors? The floors won't be saved in either case, as the village will be planted directly on the landmass (Rodan's working on it). But apart from giving hints to the modder who moves your village - which might very well be you, if you're still here then Big Grin - they make it possible to playtest the village. Sure, it'd look like folks are walking in mid-air, but apart from that it should work like normal I think.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
06-27-2006, 11:38 AM,

Can I use both? The Collision boxes being used to indicate where hillocks are?

EDIT: BTW hows the Hlalu buildings going? I'm going to need them for the manor. Oh and another thing. I never knew that building had premade interiors for them until I made the Captains house. It speeds up everything but at the same time takes away creativity a little bit.

Anyway just wanted to say they are major usefull and Deepen Meadows interiors are going to be done pretty quickly.
To answer your question, yes. But probably no.
06-27-2006, 12:38 PM,

I admit I don't know how you mean, but I'm sure it'll make sense in the end.

I take it you mean the Redoran buildings? They're going great I think, Caligula's made 2 interiors so far with 5 to go. Best to postpone them until last. The exteriors are done though, and are in the latest Alpha.

Takes away a lot of creativity in my humble opinion, plus there are polygons in all sorts of directions so it's frustrating to mod whereas a proper tileset lets you look in from almost any angle. Please don't skip out on detailing the interiors though, there must be a lot of clutter and stuff in them to make them look visually interesting to the player. Few things amuse me more than knocking down tons of stuff from tables, bookcases etc Big Grin
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
06-27-2006, 04:50 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
I admit I don't know how you mean, but I'm sure it'll make sense in the end.

I take it you mean the Redoran buildings? They're going great I think, Caligula's made 2 interiors so far with 5 to go. Best to postpone them until last. The exteriors are done though, and are in the latest Alpha.

Takes away a lot of creativity in my humble opinion, plus there are polygons in all sorts of directions so it's frustrating to mod whereas a proper tileset lets you look in from almost any angle. Please don't skip out on detailing the interiors though, there must be a lot of clutter and stuff in them to make them look visually interesting to the player. Few things amuse me more than knocking down tons of stuff from tables, bookcases etc Big Grin

Lol don't worry. I'm all for clutter and detail. I spent two hours yesterday trying to find apple trees in the CS, but to no luck Sad

Anyway what I meant by using both was: Use the floor models to show the floor so that I don't get confused and use Collision boxes for where I want there to be little hilllocks and such.

I was also thinking I might check out ST for TES3 and see if there were any good quests in DM that I thought were fun enough to put in TES4.

What do you think? (If there aren't I will make sure to add quests, because (for me) I find that there is any city or settlement that doesn't have atleast 2 quests I'm dissapointed.

Work continues, I was wondering if I finish this village good do you think I could mayor Silgrad City? But well thats too ahead of myself.
Well going back to DM.

-FLESH

EDIT: OMG WHAT IS GOING ON. One second I'm moving stuff around the next I cant do anything anymore. Every other cell works just fine. Only my DM cell screwed up. Dammit nothing ever goes well for me.

I don't know if this means anything but suddenly theres this area at the bottom of each straw roofed house I have that is a different colour. Jesus can't I get a break?

If anyone knows what this is please reply ASAP.
06-28-2006, 12:14 AM,

Aah, kk. Have you discovered the search features of the Construction Set? You can search for, for instance, "apple" and get different result list where "apple" is mentioned. Quests, books, but more importantly objects. I use it often rather than browse the object lists.

Yes please go ahead and check out the old CS to see if you can find inspiration for quests from the old settlement. If not, feel free to add them at your discretion. You can also delegate for instance a claim to a cave that you want to make a quest around, if you want. Just start up a thread somewhere and I'll be happy to move it to the RP claims board. If you want to mod the location yourself that'd be just as good of course.

The position of mayoring Silgrad has been taken since a few days. I should have announced it before, but I will do that promptly now. There's plenty of other settlements left to mod though. If nothing else we can eventually expand our scope southward down the mainland, where there's meant to be additional Hlaalu-style cities?

Could you post a screenshot or esp where the effect you describe is seen?
Angel mired in filth
06-28-2006, 09:09 AM,

I seem to have solved the problem. I copy/pasted everything into another cell I made (Interior) and now I can move stuff again. And I belive I have solved the mysterious shadow problem aswell Big Grin It happened because I played around with lighting abit and if I changed it back to the way it was at the start the shadow was gone.

Ok problem solved for now. Hope it doesnt happen again.
06-28-2006, 03:33 PM,

Well I thought I would post a little progress report.

[Image: 9173ecd1.jpg]

Ok it did work. See that dark shadow at the bottom of the roof? Thats what I was talking about

[Image: c417f081.jpg]

The villagers have nursed a small Parasol into a one that is as high as two houses. Its been there since the village itself (Iwas thinking they have the money because the road on which they are sittuated on leads to SC, was also thinking I would add one or two merchant stalls

I got this idea from checking out the links you gave me Razor. The manor has riches and so does a woman that lives in one of the farm houses. Maybe if I added a small tavern that would give them a reason to make their village look nice (which in the description it mentions that it does I'm just putting my own take on it).

[Image: bffe5d1d.jpg]

An overview of the city. Notice the stables. I also got an Idea, remember there were some villages in Oblivion that kept the horses of City folk. Well I thought why not this one keep Silgrads? If that is ok. Do we even use horses?

[Image: 9546d7e9.jpg]

Lol I managed to think of a way where the meat was coming from for the butcher. The boars (ty Razor for the pigs you made, they are tame arent they?) provide pork, I will add sheep for mutton and deer for venison. If I can? These animals do exist in morrowind aswell dont they? If they don't maybe they were imported?

Again awaiting your opinion.

[Image: 5bf59149.jpg]

Villagers growing corn.

[Image: TESConstructionSet2006-06-2818-12-5.jpg]

And a little waterfall. Happens through erosion, rain falls on the rocks erodes, pools up, and starts to fall down, creating a plunge pool at the bottom. So there is no need for there to be a river. Or if there is one it can be used for that.

Also awaiting final word on this one.

Well thats all for now folks :bananarock:

-FLESH

So which of those is a yay or a nay?
07-01-2006, 09:20 AM,

Hey razor. Hmm darn your busy person lol. I am kind of stuck right now because all I have been able to do was clutter up the land. I'm waiting to see what you have to say about the stuff i wrote. Which should I keep and which should I scrap? I suppose most of them are a bit too grand for a small settlement like DM :yes: Ok I have started to think that I should perhaps scap the waterfall. Keep it for a bigger city I might some day get to mayor. Maybe remove the planters from around the parasol.

They are farmers after all? Maybe remove the huge parasol completely? And what bout the animals? See this is why I need someone with more experience in these things to tell me Tongue Still the stables are naging at me. You never saw a horse in Morrowind. But that might have been because of hardware issues.

Hmm I'm so confused. Please razor if you have time please reply.
07-01-2006, 08:30 PM,

I'm sorry, sometimes I miss that threads have been updated, like in this case. I seem to have a knack for getting immersed into projects and devoting myself to them full-time. And it's true I always keep myself busy, but I'm not busy busy - it's just a matter of prioritizing among an endless supply of work to do.

I like your ideas, and from what I can tell from the little pictures it's shaping up nicely. Parasols are like a kind of tree to the Dunmer, so it makes total sense to have one in a city square. In the current version of the mod I work on locally, all the parasols have collision and vertex shading and are looking a whole lot better Big Grin

I agree that scrapping the waterfall could be a good idea, because it can cause a bit of problem with the landscape later on. The less changes that needs to be made to the landmass, the easier it'll be to integrate it. But don't delete the waterfall straight off though, cut-and-paste it into a new interior cell -- that way, maybe down the line you'll find yourself in a situation where you want to use it. Or maybe mod a deep cave to go with this village, which could have an underwater river if you like? Just an idea.

The pigs were a great touch, I thought. The changes I made to them compared to the normal boar are very simplistic, and is basically just lowering their aggression level so they remain docile and aren't recognized as a threat (with the restrictions and music score threats entail in mind). I intended them to be placeholders in case we get a real pig creature in the future; We used to have them in the old mod, so if it pans out we can quickly "turn on" a lot of pigs in the mod in one go by just changing the nif file the pig form references.

An old fact, which is a mixture of humor and lore, is that there aren't any horses in Morrowind because the Dunmer ate them all. Big Grin The devs loved to make up facts like that to cover up their shortcomings, such as not being capable of creating rideable horses in TES3. It's not real lore though because to the best of my knowledge that factoid isn't laid down in any Elder Scrolls game, and tapping into the system already there in the game just strikes me as making sense.
Angel mired in filth
07-01-2006, 08:32 PM,

That really looks great FLESH!
Boil-em, Mash-em, Stick-em in a stew!

Golems: 9/??
Jiihat: 17/30
Leader of the Khajiit (name undecided): 23/30 braids in the mane

The fort itself:

Interiors: 0%
Exteriors 24%

For Kvatch!