Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morrowind into Oblivion
08-03-2007, 12:43 PM,
Morrowind into Oblivion
Hi guys Smile, my name is Galadrielle

I'm french and i'm working on a program that convert any mod from morrowind to oblivion (including NIF files, using another program of my own). This program is still under development but I have just discovered what you're doing and I think it could be helpfull for all the great job you're doing.

Here is a link to the discussion about my program:
http://forum.wiwiland.net/index.php?showtopic=39859
It's in french but you will find some screenshots of morrowind.esm conversion and some videos.

Here is a link to the program itself:
http://lagbt.wiwiland.net/Downloads/ESPC...er_v0_9.7z
The readme file is also in french, very sorry.

To use the soft, simply verify the paths in NIF_conv.ini file, rename your morrowind.esm to morrowind.esp, drag and drop it on NIF_conv.exe, open the converted morrowind_ob.esp file in the OblivionTESCS and resave it (there can be some errors, say always yes). The file is ready to play, NIF are saved into Meshes\morro, textures into Textures\morro.
08-03-2007, 01:55 PM,

Converting Morrowind meshes/textures and anything else for use in Oblivion and distributing is against Bethesda's rules and is illegal as far as I'm aware. Same for using Oblivion assets in Morrowind. If that's what you're doing. If not, I apologise.
08-03-2007, 02:18 PM,

You should ask on the official forums what's legal and not legal. Perhaps it s only legal when the player have both oblivon and morrowind needed.
08-03-2007, 02:44 PM,

:no:
The soul's condition is learning to fly
Condition grounded, but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Toung-tied and twisted, just an Earth-bound misfit, I
08-03-2007, 02:55 PM,

wow that is fantastic. The software it self right now wouldnt be illegal. its really the distributing and converting the MW or any other comercial gamess assets to OB that Beth has this to say (from the sticky in OB modding tesforums) -.

Quote:Recently there have been a number of posts concerning Oblivion Mods and people using assets from other games, in whole or in part.

We do not and will not get involved in the policing of the Oblivion Mod community. However, in no way, shape, or form can we allow people to talk about taking copyrighted and proprietary materials from other games and using them for mods for Morrowind.

Any threads discussing using models or assets from other games in Oblivion Mods are going to be locked, no questions asked. As a software developer and publisher, we don't have the luxury of looking the other way on this. Sorry.

We certainly don't want anyone using the work we've done on Oblivion in mods for other games, so we have our part when it comes to other games. Please stop using assets from other products for Oblivion mods, and please do not use any assets from Oblivion for projects in other games.

Thanks for your understanding.

-Pete

All real modders abide by this etiquette. Honor amongst modders and all that. Smile

that tool isn't much use to modders here. they are in most cases way past the making a good landmass, I am guessing thats pretty much all this proggie does, it doesn't convert nifs to 20.0.0.5, set colision, make normal maps, or anything does it?
AM NOT A TEXTURER
08-03-2007, 02:57 PM,

I know it's illegal to distribute Bethesda data, that's why I made this program Wink, everyone who have TES3 and TES4 will be able to generate all morrowind data for Oblivion. Then it becomes possible to make mods using converted morrowind data, you will only need to distribute your esp file and the converter, no NIF or textures (except those you made yourself of course).
This program (will) allows also to convert all morrowind mods in order to reuse morrowind mod data in Oblivion (with the permission of the modder of course).
Quote:it doesn't convert nifs to 20.0.0.5, set colision, make normal maps, or anything does it?
Yes it does, it includes a NIF converter program I made in order to convert NIF 4.0.0.2 to NIF 20.0.0.5 (including collision). You can look at screenshots in the link I posted above, for now the entire landmass and most of statics, activators, doors and NPC are converted.
08-03-2007, 03:00 PM,

aye, there is a definite legitimate use here.
AM NOT A TEXTURER
08-03-2007, 04:02 PM,

As long as you aren't releasing any assets from either games, I suppose it would be okay. But I still think this would break Bethesda's rule system. Unless for personal use. Confusedhrug:
08-03-2007, 04:34 PM,

well I was more thinking of all the custom models and mods that were relz as MW mods. they could theorectically be converted to ob mods without having to go importing and exporting all of them by hand. thats one thing thats not fuzzing the lines in the least bit.

I am guessing the collision shapes, are just the usual nitristripshape and not mopp shape or bhkconvexshapes. hmm I am curious about this. might have to give it a run.
AM NOT A TEXTURER
08-03-2007, 05:26 PM,

If you were converting only custom models and such, I think it would be legal. However, converting mods which were made for morrowind will probably fail (or at least be illegal) because those mods were obviously made with morrowind assets. Plus, the scripting and everything's a bit different.

Didn't lightwave, Vality7, and Greywizard try something like this called TESPort a while ago? Not sure if those three were the ones who made it, they were just the ones talking about it on This Thread

Also, Morrowind graphics are a bit outdated in the current era...

I dunno, you guys have fun figuring out what to do with this
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
I do work sometimes - I swear!