Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open jobs for modellers
07-02-2006, 09:47 PM,

That's all the Dwemer architecture that exists in Oblivion.
As for ESM/ESP files, those are master and plugin files, respectively. You don't need to worry about those, just dig around in the textures.
07-02-2006, 10:40 PM,

Oh ok, thanks Axen, Anyway finally began work on my first Mesh, THE BARREL. Just a minor question, What should be the poly count for objects? Im guessing around 750 polies each? or 500-1000.
Semper Fidelis..... - Always Faithful (Marine Corp Motto)
07-02-2006, 11:21 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Killamike718
Oh ok, thanks Axen, Anyway finally began work on my first Mesh, THE BARREL. Just a minor question, What should be the poly count for objects? I'm guessing around 750 polies each? or 500-1000.

To some degree it depends on how many of the objects a modder is likely to place. One can never get an optimal number, but that frequency can help landing in the general ballpark. To throw out a few theoretical examples, if you're modelling for instance a light-tube and the intention is to place one tube on every other tile then I would estimate 500, tops. But if it's a huge furniture, like a power generator, there's only likely to be one or two of them in any given interior cell so it could go all the way up to 5,000 maybe. Size is also a factor; the larger it is in the game world the more jagged it will look (and vice verca).

500-750 sounds like a good number for a barrel. Then again, should you feel like it, you could always make two barrels, one less optimized than the other; That way a modder could use either one depending on how the poly budget looks for his cell. But that's above and beyond what's necessary so I'm not trying to say you must do two variations, but if you feel like it and is unsure of a particular optimal number then it could perhaps be a valid idea.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
07-02-2006, 11:54 PM,

Thanks Razorwing, Actually i was going to make 3 Different versions and Hi poly and low Poly versions of the Versions Big Grin. Wish me luck, Actually I just noticed that i didnt include Collision Meshes, or do the Barrels not need collision Meches?
07-03-2006, 12:01 AM,

Thanks Razorwing, Actually I was going to make 3 Different versions and Hi poly and low Poly versions of the Versions Big Grin. Wish me luck, Actually I just noticed that I didn't include Collision Meshes, or do the Barrels not need collision Meches?

Good luck! :goodjob:

Oh, just about all models need collision models. And vertex shading. They don't just control if the player bumps into the object but are crucial for any kind of interaction. Smile For instance if a barrel doesn't have a collision mesh the player can't open it to grab it's contents.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
07-03-2006, 07:45 PM,

Hey just a Progress report, I finished some stuff but ill attach an image of the 4 Gears i made. im still gonna texture them but I improved the look on the Gears, bu adding only 100 more polies than the original. The original was 148, I made mine and all the variants to exactly 240 Triangles. Tell me if i should change anything about them. I got some other stuff done but this was the most controvercial. The gears took me a couple of minutes to make, soo if you guys dont like them, ill scrap them easily with no harm done.

Just a Question, Can you open containers, like a Chest or Closet in oblivion????
Should i model the Interior or Chests and desks, and stuff like that???

Another question, Do I make Desk Drawers seperate mesh's from the original mesh, soo it can b carried and thrown by the Physics engine???

Sorry i dont have oblivion yet but im actually getting it today on the Xbox 360 :applause:, Thats when ill be "Studying" Big Grin, the game, but in the meantime, ill ask the questions to continue working.

Too bad i cant get it on PC because: :mchm:
07-03-2006, 07:47 PM,

Mike: Maybe you could make a more ornate barrel, too? Look at the Dwarven shield in TES4, and make a barrel top similar to it, though with only one of the spiral thingies and shaped like a single circle, and work from there.
07-03-2006, 08:04 PM,

Finally the Xbox360 and oblivion, im opening it now, IM SOO EXCITED, thanks for the advce axen, after i see what the ornate barrel looks like, ill do that with the barrel.
07-03-2006, 08:11 PM,

Finally the Xbox360 and oblivion, I'm opening it now, I'm SOO EXCITED, thanks for the advce axen, after I see what the ornate barrel looks like, ill do that with the barrel.
Uh... is that a typo?
07-03-2006, 10:29 PM,

No, No typo, I just played my first game on the 360, Oblivion, and this is the first time i played the game!!!! , its amazing!!!!!!! Hopefully ill get used to the game ,its very different from morrowind. Are those barrels in the Capital city?? Where are their locations?

Edit: Do you have a screenshot of the barrel, It would help. Sorry, Ive seen no barrel that looks Dwemer, soo far.