Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Quest] Joining the Morag Tong
07-25-2008, 06:14 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by bob196045Now we understand the need for npc backgrounds

If we have backgrounds unique to various np'c and make them as creative as we can, we have opportunities for some well reasoned
writs

Well, I don't know MW as well as you guys but I've always been able to create solid characters, especially tragic ones. Plus, if they're government-sanctioned then presumably the government can use their considerable influence to turn a blind eye to unjust writs if it means removing someone they consider to be seditious.

One NPC that immediately springs to my mind is the focus of the second of three diaries I initially wrote for Giskard's 'Necromancer' mod. He was a sort of half-zombie born of Charus Valga, the ex-Count of Chorrol who allegedly died in battle against the Nords. In fact, rather than dying, one of Charus' retainers helped to spirit him away where he spent his last night with his mistress. Their illegitimate son, called Dermaine Valga, was kept away from prying eyes by his estranged mother (the secret mistress of his noble father) and prevented from learning about his lineage. He inherited his mother's name - Crepulschorius.

It later became one of the ideas that would form part of the story arc idea that I initially discussed with TID. This involved two warring factions split by a deceptive force that was intent on making them destroy each other and cause civil unrest that would pave the way for this new force's rise to power. It was discarded in favour of a more down-to-earth storyline (considering the fact that this could have involved modding part of a new Daedric realm) that was already well underway. I could easily rewrite this NPC and the diary to make the locations and persons involved more ST-focused.

Perhaps, upon learning of the government's secret agenda through the diary, it would divide opinion amongst the government and lead them towards ultimately 'removing' one of their own.

Taking this further, the storyline could be darkened by making out that they have only removed this person in order to publically demonstrate their incorruptibility rather than punish the true source of the writ.

Or you could just have the short version that disregards the two paragraphs above. Then I could probably come up with a few more ideas for NPCs like this if you like.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
07-25-2008, 06:29 PM,

Actually, i'm not quite sure what the government's influence on the MT is. King Helseth actually wants to get rid of the Morag Tong, and it's rumored that he has DB ties. So at the highest level at least, the MT isn't getting cut any slack by the government.

The role of the Morag Tong in politics is one which i'd much like to explore. The one thing thing i've yet to really figure out is what the extent of the "rules" were. Who is it OK to take a writ out on? Surely you can't request to assassinate one of the High Councilors of Silgrad, or the Governor of Steadhelm (not sure if they actually have high councilors of governors, just examples), or god-forbid, King Helseth.

So where exactly is the line drawn? I actually haven't played through Morrowind either, so if somebody could clear up the rules of writ-taking (or indeed were there rules??) it'd be great.

[edit] Actually, we have an entire thread for writ development, so please post there instead!
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
I do work sometimes - I swear!
07-25-2008, 06:38 PM,

Just as a suggestion, I would think that would be something done in the style of a communion. As the Dark Brotherhood 'pray' to the Night Mother, so could some shadowy intercessor be the mouthpiece of a larger council that is in communion. The intercessor could be a sort of 'idiot savant', not knowing their true role or being innocent of their power, much like the 'oracles' of the ancient world. It would be fun to create such a character. Rather than being the main source, they are the means or 'conduit' by which the purest judgement is attained from an intelligence (the council or government) that can't see the wood for the trees.

You get very close to DB territory with this...it's unavoidable. But obviously with the Morag Tong you have a government rather than a family. I presume that that government merely wishes for the Morag Tong to be more answerable to them. Through the player's quests, perhaps they begin to work more harmoniously, whatever the costs...but someone always has to be appointed as the (mindless?) intercessor.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
07-25-2008, 06:52 PM,

Well, there is supposedly a Morag Tong high council on a small island somewhere in the ocean, who receive their instructions from Mephala, but i'm not sure if we could incorporate that into Silgrad.

And what exactly do you mean by "Government"? I'm pretty sure that things like the Soluthis/Reich Parkeep, Steadhelm, and Silgrad Tower councils all keep their hands off the Morag Tong.

As i said, at the highest levels, King Helseth wants the Morag Tong utterly destroyed.

Were you talking about an intercessor between the Morag Tong and Morrowind government? or the Morag Tong and Mephala? or the Local Morag Tong and the overall high council?
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
07-25-2008, 07:11 PM,

So the Morag Tong is more like the DB but with Mephala as the Night Mother then...sorry, I'm not up on my MW lore.

Then I suppose the intercessor would be there to mediate between the councils on matters concerning the Daedric Gods. But if one of the councillors used the Morag Tong and Helseth got wind of it then...?
07-25-2008, 07:19 PM,

Well technically, the Dark Brotherhood is like the Morag Tong, which was the original daedra-worshipping cult of assassins/foresters. The DB was just kind of a spinoff, so it's actually they who are copying.

And i think Mephala more replaces Sithis, except that Mephala's awesome.

The plots you're conceiving with Helseth and the gov't and all are similar to the ones i planned out waaaaaaaay back when I first took up the guild. It's probably somewhere in the archives, but i was discussing this massive political conflict between Helseth and the MT. Then i decided that there wasn't enough assassination in that and arrived at my current plotline, which is detailed at the top of the board in the important threads.
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
07-25-2008, 08:17 PM,

Okay, np. I was just thinking aloud on how that original idea of mine could involve more intrigue. I didn't get the idea that Helseth is so against the MT.

Nonetheless, what follows is a reworking. You could try the first writ on its own or both together (or none at all, of course).

As episodes, they could pan out like:

First Writ
1) Get writ to assassinate 'Dermaine'.
2) Find out about Dermaine's history through the diary. I forgot to mention that one of Charus' retainers had betrayed him by letting his wife know about his mistress. This is council member #1 who issued the writ in the first place so he has a personal reason for getting rid of Dermaine.
3) Kill Dermaine (according to the orders of the MT and the fact that Dermaine has become a Lich by the time you get to him) but secretly let the council know of the whole incident by handing in the diary.

Second Writ (refers to the first)
1) Get writ to assassinate council member #1.
2) Find out that council member #2 has ordered the writ on council member #1 for a) having kept secret about the fate of Dermaine and then ordered the death of someone who was nonetheless an MW nobleman and who could have been saved and b) dealing with the Morag Tong in the first place.
3) Kill the council member.
4) Get into trouble with the guards and take a bit of a beating before council member #2 calls them off and captures the player instead.
5) In consideration of the circumstances in which the player has ultimately been of some benefit to the council, the councils consult the intercessor. As a result, despite being MT, Helseth (or a representative) thanks the player for their discretion in dealing with two shameful incidents. The first being the family history and the second being councillor #2's disloyalty and association with the MT.

I like this little two-writ sequence because:

* It improves the player's standing with the council, even as a member of the MT and yet still casts them in a dark light.
* It shows the dark side of the MT (isn't it all dark?) because, without them, and in full light of the truth, no deaths would have occurred.
* It shows Helseth's attempts to weed out the darker side of Dunmer nature whilst being merciful to an individual who he may consider merely a pawn of a greater power.
* It illustrates the way the council have in the past sanctioned the MT i.e. by dealing with them through an intercessor (a medium or go-between between themselves and the Daedra).
07-25-2008, 09:15 PM,

As I remember, the Morag Tong were government sanctioned, the writs allowed you to be free of any repercussions with the guards.

Assassinations of council members were not off limits. It had to be a house war writ. If I recall correctly, there were threee kinds of writ (though I can't remember what the other ones were, perhaps public and private?).

The UESP Page on the Morag Tong is pretty comprehensive (apart from that rubbish about Sithis being the god of death).

Being as Morrowind during Oblivion's timeline is in the middle of a House War, I think the assassination of councillors would be fine.
07-25-2008, 10:15 PM,

the UESP page is detailed, but not clear enough on when a writ may or may not be taken out. It spoke of "grey writs", but never described what exactly would cause a writ to stop being legal.

I think our guideline should be motive - if there is a very, very good reason to kill someone off, then do it. If someone just wants some important person dead just for fun? It's not a good writ quest, and it's probably not legal. The councilors have to have some protection.

Also, I didn't see much background on the writ quests from Morrowind. Did any of those quests give reasons for the assassination?

@IG
Which council are we talking about here? Soluthis? Silgrad? Steadhelm? Where is Dermaine located? Doesn't he already get his own quest (you've got so many extra things planned out, and i know i've seen a quest thread for it), how would this factor into what's already been planned.
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
07-25-2008, 11:48 PM,

Wow thats alot to read in one day, I will do my best

But just to cover some of the essentials

A Writ is nothing more than a piece of paper giving the assasin the ok to kill someone

The government sanctioning came about as the Empire moved into Morrowind

The Morag Tong was strickly a Dunmer group used as a tool by the great houses to settle disputes between house members

In order to keep the peace with the Dunmer the Empire agreed to allow the ancient practice to continue, the Morag Tong member can assasinate without reprocussions however it is required that the Assasin report to the nearest guard and show proof of the writ (turn it in)
this was never adhered to in morrowind but I think we should require it

In morrowind all the writs were agianst Dunmer citizens, except one who is technically a Ashlander

Their is no reason given for the writs

and it isn't necessary that we provide a reason, I only feel its necessary for higher ranking members of the Tong to know the reason as it also gives more realism to the game

Enjoy
Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories