Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Redoran Buildings Progress Thread (1)
02-03-2006, 10:27 PM,

not too clear, but i understood.... just making sure....

maybe (if i want, if i like my wips, if i have time, if my fellow core wont kill me) i could try making a texture for this... or finding soemthing on the net...
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
02-03-2006, 11:05 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Lady Nerevar
not too clear, but i understood.... just making sure....

maybe (if i want, if i like my wips, if i have time, if my fellow core wont kill me) i could try making a texture for this... or finding soemthing on the net...

Oki. You see, when I opened it up in Max the mesh had a stroboscopic white glare and I just wanted something quick to make it look slightly better in renders.

It's Caligula's call, but personally I think it would be great if you could make those textures. As a positive side-effect those could be highly useful on other Redoran models as well.

If not then I have a few Redoran retexture packs I can dig into that might have something suitable. But as far as I can tell, none of those retextures really look Redoran, so... but then again there wouldn't be much point in releasing a retexture pack if the textures looked like the old ones, so I'm not surprised about that. Tongue

As far as I can tell, not counting the door, we would need three textures; one slim border texture for the bottom, one fat border texture for the rim on the front and the chimney, and a wall texture. The latter is the least important I imagine, because those retexture packs do have a bunch of suitable wall textures.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
02-04-2006, 06:08 AM,

Razorwing: I was thinking of making a couple more renditions of the various huts yes. Ive never attempted an interior model before, but I shall certainly try my hand at it!

Lady Nerevar: Feel free to texture to your heart's desire! Big Grin

Sry about the delay with finishing this second hut up, its a mix between it being annoying to optomize, me being swamped with homework, and buying fable. (Yes fable. Big Grin Its not as horrible as all of the other ES fans make it out to be. :goodjob: )

I promise to have it done over the weekend.
02-04-2006, 07:46 PM,

Here we go, I think this is it. There was some funny stuff going on with the faces on the left side of the model before I exported it, but they don't show up when rendered. If anyone finds something wrong, let me know. Face count is 1946 I believe.

Oh, and the angle of the notch thingy where the horns come out is a little steep right now, which is why it may look funny in some of those pictures. If it's still like that in max I can smooth it out, but it may look better the way it is so we will have to see.
02-04-2006, 07:52 PM,

I think it looks excellent. :goodjob:

Very well done and I hope my praise is not diminished by the fact that I'm willing to bow down before anyone who knows her/his way with the various modelling programs.

Greetings

Quentin
That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs, but what a ship is - what the Black Pearl really is - is freedom.
02-04-2006, 08:41 PM,

It looks very nice, Caligula. I'm glad to hear you want to continue with the set.

There's a watchtower and skar model already made that I personally think look very close to the original versions. Do you think we should keep those models for those slots? If so then there's five models left, if not, seven. I'll make sure the models Hoss made gets put to good use, but maybe not as Redoran houses. As for my own, pfft... in hindsight, mostly a learning experience. Wink

Interiors are pretty easy to make, at least in Max. It's just a matter of turning the exterior model inside-out with a tool called "Flip Normals", which makes it see-through when viewed from the outside but solid when viewed from the inside, just like Bethesda's interiors. I can probably make them if you want.

I've got some stuff from Prometheus to look at first, courtesy of Zarkis, but that should leave time for Lady N to take a look at the textures in the meantime.
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
02-04-2006, 09:03 PM,

They both look great, though the dome on the top of the tower looks a bit odd to me. It seems too artificial and regular to be Redoran. Perhaps if we just chop it off?

You can go ahead and try some interiors if you like, Ill start working on some after I?m done with another couple exteriors I think.

Also, I didnt' do anything special to the models for mapping, since Ive never done it before and don't know the technicalities of how it works. Anything I should be keeping in mind so mapping isn't to tough for them?
02-04-2006, 09:48 PM,

yeah the models look good, but I agree with Caligula Superfly about the Redoran watch-tower :yes:
02-04-2006, 10:05 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Caligula Superfly
They both look great, though the dome on the top of the tower looks a bit odd to me. It seems too artificial and regular to be Redoran. Perhaps if we just chop it off?

You can go ahead and try some interiors if you like, Ill start working on some after I?m done with another couple exteriors I think.

Also, I didnt' do anything special to the models for mapping, since Ive never done it before and don't know the technicalities of how it works. Anything I should be keeping in mind so mapping isn't to tough for them?

Sure. Or, we could just transfer the existing watchtower to the other collection and you could make a new one later on? Hmm... maybe Hoss' houses can be used for another mini-House culture? Same as my tileset might be used for 'House Dren'... well, we'll see.

There's one thing in particular you might want to keep in mind. When making a mesh ready for a border map, like the one in the middle in the attached screenshot, it looks best if the vertices of that border to have exactly the same distance. If it's a planar map it's absolutely necessary, but if it's a face map like this one it isn't, but it looks better if it is.

Also, border maps like that need a straight row of polygons to follow. So with your first hut for instance, if we are to add a border map at the bottom like on Bethesda's hut, because your mesh looks like it does it will have to be elongated at the base to accomodate for such a row of polygons. I'm not saying it's a lot of work for me to do it, I'm just saying that you might want to take that into consideration next time so your design doesn't have to be compromised.

It also helps a lot if you separate the meshes before you export to .obj since that format fuses them together, and it can be a pain to cut them up again. Your hut worked ok in that regard though, so that's not a problem, but it could be in the future so I thought I'd mention it.

Keep up the good work. :goodjob:
Angel mired in filth
02-04-2006, 10:21 PM,

Sounds good, will do. :goodjob: