Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SHRAC08 "Steadhelm Region Area Claim" [Finished]
05-10-2008, 09:39 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
Okay, I'm seem to be making progress. I'm on to the third part now.
Great! Smile
Dum loquor, hora fugit  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
07-08-2008, 07:59 AM,

I've started the landscaping tutorial (at last!) and should soon be able to make a start on this. However, I noticed that texturing was a big part of this which may present a problem for me. Besides me lacking artistic skill in this area, I am also quite badly colourblind in terms of browns and greens (rather unfortunate for outside areas :eek: )

Could you suggest to me a selection of textures that I'm best off using as a sort of a 'set' because if I do it myself, I'll probably make a badger's tit out of the whole thing....? =)

Seeing as this contain a lot of swampland, I could also do with some trees that grow out of cliffs like some of the screenshots I attached. They might be something similar to the gnarly old roots that you can use in dungeons. Who might be able to help me with something like that?
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
07-08-2008, 08:40 AM,

Thanks for the update. Smile

Could you suggest to me a selection of textures that I'm best off using as a sort of a 'set' because if I do it myself, I'll probably make a badger's tit out of the whole thing....? =)
Go to the "How to check the existing textures in an exterior cell and how to remove blocky (screenshot) textures?" section of the OP.
Use the existing textures.

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
07-08-2008, 08:58 AM,

Oh, I see. I didn't notice that bit...doh! I edited my post above just now. Did you see the bit about the trees?

New Edit - I just started playing with Vertex shading by going into the window with 'H' and then clicking 'Q'. In my left-hand swatch, I first chose 50% grey, as the tutorial advises, but I noticed that it was making the area I was right-clicking on brighter instead of darker. So I chose black and it ended up doing exactly the same thing. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
07-08-2008, 01:26 PM,

I like the idea for the trees.

Oh, I see. I didn't notice that bit...doh! I edited my post above just now. Did you see the bit about the trees?

New Edit - I just started playing with Vertex shading by going into the window with 'H' and then clicking 'Q'. In my left-hand swatch, I first chose 50% grey, as the tutorial advises, but I noticed that it was making the area I was right-clicking on brighter instead of darker. So I chose black and it ended up doing exactly the same thing. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Look at the screenshot.

The left color is grey and the right one is white.
Left click and hold (render window) and you'll add a grey vertex color, right-click and hold and you'll be able to erase other vertex colors.

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
07-08-2008, 01:46 PM,

I got it. It didn't tell me I was using them in combination but I sussed it out eventually.

The landscaping tutorial I just completed used the house-on-stilts from SI and I'd like to use similar bits and pieces like that for the swampier areas. I could use the SI stuff but if there's anything specifically ST then please let me know.

In the meantime, I've downloaded the esm and I'm ready to go with landscaping now. However, I'm thinking more about what I'd like to include. One was the trees and I've posted up another wide arcing tree that probably suits the low-lying swamp regions even better (see attached image). But another thing I would like is a 'pondscum' effect, something implemented similarly to the light shafts and fog, maybe water lillies or something. Is there a place to post up requests for stuff like that?

I know from having visited Black Marsh that Senten has come up with some awesome stuff for swamps. Do you think he'd let me use them?

P.S. How do I check the facecount of an exterior cell?

P.P.S. I've now loaded up the Silgrad esm so I'll need to know some more things. I've found a Worldspace called SilgradTowerLand. Now I need to know which one of these grid refs I need to be looking at.
07-08-2008, 02:06 PM,

FYI
I sent a PM.

EDIT

Facecount.

You have to use the WS: SilgradTowerLand.

Go to the console and type"~".
Type cow SilgradTowerLand 54,0 and hit enter (you're teleported to your claim area). Check the map as well.

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
07-08-2008, 02:19 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's GhostP.S. How do I check the facecount of an exterior cell?

P.P.S. I've now loaded up the Silgrad esm so I'll need to know some more things. I've found a Worldspace called SilgradTowerLand. Now I need to know which one of these grid refs I need to be looking at.

Still need to know the P.S. but I'm assuming that the answer to the P.P.S. is 3, 50 to -6, 60 or something.

Edit Ah, you already responded while I was typing this :goodjob: . However, I now noticed that going straight to 54, 0 in the CS takes me to a purple sea with the Steadhelm Region Ferry to Latrys South (and lots of errors)? That appears to be within the region stated here. Do I just leave this part at the moment?

Second Edit Woah! I've gone all purple! I decided to start along the borders where the land meets the coastline so I went for 54, -6. Now that I've been seizing your attention for most of the afternoon, can you tell me how we're planning on separating the borders, if at all? Should I cut it off with sea or mountains or simply leave the barren part where it is?

Btw, thanks for being so quick and helpful with the assistance, Sandor!

Third Edit :alert: I'm planning on having a bit of a lake-heavy region here with plenty of rivers and tributaries. Wherever there are signs of civilisation then it's likely to be outposts on the islands. Hopefully, I can use my old star-shaped trap idea in the forest regions. Am I free to go crazy with rivers or should I try to ensure that no rivers cross over into other claims? On second thoughts, do I avoid rivers going from cell-to-cell altogether?
07-08-2008, 03:22 PM,

Re: Houses on stilts: sandor may have told you, but I modelled a shack tileset for ST. Included within the set are platforms that can be used to create the stilted effect. I'll have to check to see if anyone has used the platforms in that way already. For more info, just do a forum search on shack with my handle as the author.

HTH,
Steve
07-08-2008, 04:13 PM,

The purple indicates missing textures.

Are you using the ST bsa?

I'll reply to your third edit via PM including the border stuff.

@SACarrow
I agree, we could use your shacks (I already did for the ferry master's house).

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD