Poll: Which Plane should we feature (if any)?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Azura (Anticipation)
0%
0 0%
Vaermina (Other)
0%
0 0%
Nocturnal (Other)
0%
0 0%
Sanguine (Other)
0%
0 0%
Hermaeus Mora (Other)
0%
0 0%
Sheogorath (House of Troubles)
0%
0 0%
Molag Bal (House of Troubles)
0%
0 0%
Mephala (Anticipation)
0%
0 0%
Boethia (Anticipation)
0%
0 0%
Hircine (Other)
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ST's Plane of Oblivion
03-30-2007, 09:08 PM,

I vote for :

Hermaeus Mora

Hermaeus (or Hoermius or Hormaius or Herma) Mora, whose sphere is scrying of the tides of fate, of the past and future as read in the stars and heaven, and in whose dominion are the treasures of knowledge and memory.

Herma-Mora (The Woodland Man): Ancient Atmoran demon who, at one time, nearly seduced the Nords into becoming Aldmer. Most Ysgramor myths are about escaping the wiles of old Herma-Mora. Also called the Demon of Knowledge, he is vaguely related to the cult origins of the Morag Tong ('Foresters Guild'), if only by association with his brother/sister, Mephala.
(Varieties of Faith in the Empire)

As recorded in "The Doors of Oblivion", Hermaeus Mora maintains a realm called Apocrypha, where all forbidden knowledge can be found. It is an endless library, shelves stretching on every direction, stacks on top of stacks. Pages floated on a mystical wind that he could not feel. Every book had a black cover with no title. Masses of ghosts moving through the stacks, rifling through books, ever searching.

The summoning date of Hermaeus Mora is 5th of First Seed.

Hermaeus Mora is always associated with the Oghma Infinium, a tome of power that can increase the attributes of the reader instantly. The knowledge given by Hermaeus Mora himself was penned in the tome by the Ageless One, the wizard-sage Xarses.

This obscured Daedric Prince sometime cannot be summoned as "easily" as other Daedric Princes. During the Oblivion Crisis, after the Champion of Cyrodiil finished all the quests from other Daedric Princes, the Champion of Cyrodiil was summoned instead of the champion summoned the Prince. Hermaeus Mora asked the champion to get souls, one of each of the sentient races. An evil contract, the champion finished the contract anyway. Hermaeus Mora then rewarded the champion the Oghma Infinium.

The Eternal Champion, back in the time of Jagar Tharn was able to retrieve the tomb in the deep frozen wastes of Skyrim; at that time Hermaues Mora did not interfere. Then the Hero of Daggerfall is recorded as the wielder of the tome, sometime after the War of Betony. The hero summoned Hermaeus Mora, and he was asked to slay certain patrician who had aroused Daedric Prince's displeasure. Upon finishing the quest, the Hero of Daggerfall was rewarded with the legendary tome.
03-30-2007, 10:24 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by kingevil
As recorded in "The Doors of Oblivion", Hermaeus Mora maintains a realm called Apocrypha, where all forbidden knowledge can be found. It is an endless library, shelves stretching on every direction, stacks on top of stacks. Pages floated on a mystical wind that he could not feel. Every book had a black cover with no title. Masses of ghosts moving through the stacks, rifling through books, ever searching.

That could be easy enough to mod / model :yes:

Assuming no-one would mind static books that can't be moved or read, I think the interior cells could grow really big. I wonder what the library would look like? Apart from the books I mean. Should it look like the inside of a building, or be in an exterior worldspace, or...? What do you reckon kingevil?

Quote:Originally posted by Zarf
When I think of "Dawn and Dusk", I think of the sun just creeping over the horizon and everything being turned an orange tint because of it. It would make for a fantastic setting, but how do you portray a "half thought"?

Maybe the buildings are finished on the left side and gaping open on the right side?
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
03-31-2007, 12:16 AM,

I think it should be in a big building. Possibly some exterior though. But definately a big building, if it's done.

Yeah, definately static bookshelves with low-poly, unlabled books. Otherwise, with what I envision, would be about one frame per minuste.
Lol what?
03-31-2007, 12:24 AM,

The bookshelves, to cover up that you can't move the books, could possibly be have a glass door that you can not open?
My mage is an honor student at the Arcane University.
03-31-2007, 12:27 AM,

It talks about books going infinitely, so it would be best to have it in an exterior world space, so that you can have LOD book cases. Also keep in mind that with an interior cell that local map has a cut-off point, so that would pose problems.

TOYB
03-31-2007, 12:43 AM,

Whatever you choose, interior or exterior, you can't really make an infinite worldspace/cell. If the library is truly infinite according to lore a way will need to be found to replicate the effect as best as possible.

You could just make the place really huge so the player will get tired of walking around, trying to find the end. You could also make it so that after walking a certain distance away from the center of the library the player is teleported back to the starting point (the center). The easiest way is to set up an impassable and invisible barrier at some point, but it is also the lamest way. Oh and you can also make the library circular, perhaps have several rings that get bigger the farther they are from the center. The best way to simulate infinity is to simply have one HUGE ring-like corridor of book shelves that will be so big it will seem like a strait corridor when you are walking trough it... like the curvature of the Earth, the Earth seems flat because we are so small in comparison.

And of course I have to mention that this last idea might turn out to be very boring when put to practice. Tongue
When the game is over, the King and the Pawn go back into the same box.
03-31-2007, 01:07 AM,

WhiteWizard: That's not a bad idea Smile

The Old Ye Bard: Now that would make for some fantastic views!

Psychotic: Or just give the player an amulet before entering and saying something like 'you can't go farther else the amulet's link to Tamriel will break permanently'. So you can stop the player that way with him still being able to see books everywere.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
03-31-2007, 02:05 AM,

How about it is a disguise. It will be exterior cells, only one weather type, and LOD interior pieces with LOD bookshelves. That would work, so it would look like an infinate interior cell. And map markers would work too. Basically it is a library world with different areas, and it will look so cool.

I think with one vote our decision was made. Nice.
Lol what?
04-02-2007, 11:41 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
Quote:Originally posted by kingevil

That could be easy enough to mod / model :yes:

Assuming no-one would mind static books that can't be moved or read, I think the interior cells could grow really big. I wonder what the library would look like? Apart from the books I mean. Should it look like the inside of a building, or be in an exterior worldspace, or...? What do you reckon kingevil?

When I think of "Dawn and Dusk", I think of the sun just creeping over the horizon and everything being turned an orange tint because of it. It would make for a fantastic setting, but how do you portray a "half thought"?

Maybe the buildings are finished on the left side and gaping open on the right side?
Most of the books should be static , or else we would have to write a near infinite amount of books . Perhaps some labyrinth like library ? Cmbine that with exterior and LoD as TOYB said . There could also be things like when you are at a part of the libadry dedicated to mushrooms you would alo see mushrooms growing everywhere . The important zones(like the future) could have some powerful guards . There should also be some friendly ghosts reading the non static books . And perhaps some foolish mortals who read things mortals cannot understand and now run around in their underwear shouting complete nonsense . "and the skies will rain monkey , then the pink prophet called ernie wil take his banana and beat the nerevanine with the banana " And it would also be nice if the labyrinth would change shape whit some activtor bookcases that move .

EDIT: from the doors of oblivion :
Quote:Every book had a black cover with no title
looks like undetailed titleless books is lore correct !
04-02-2007, 12:19 PM,

Azuras Realm would be interesting, based on this description from the Doors of Oblivion:

Quote:'Too much beauty,' Zenas gasped when he went to the next realm. 'I am half blind. I see flowers and waterfalls, majestic trees, a city of silver, but it is all a blur. The colors run like water. It's raining now, and the wind smells like perfume. This surely is Moonshadow, where Azura dwells.'

Zenas was right, and astonishingly, he even had audience with the Queen of Dusk and Dawn in her rose palace. She listened to his tale with a smile, and told him of the coming of the Nevevarine. My master found Moonshadow so lovely, he wished to stay there, half-blind, forever, but he knew he must move on and complete his journey of discovery.

Other than that, I suggest Vaerminas realm! An ever-changing nightmare world sounds like fun to me. You could implement it as several worldspaces with the same landmass, but different nightmare themes and then transport the player between them every 15 minutes or so, it would be awesome!

Oh. Linux. There's a half-thought OS for you. Big Grin
What would that make windows? a quarter thought os? ?( Wink