Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scc0440 [Old discussion RideWithTheWind]
06-30-2009, 04:31 PM,

I'm currently implementing a quest for this claim. I followed tutorials and everything went good.

Except for one function. I need the quest to update 30 seconds after discussing a topic with a NPC.

So I added the following result script to that topic :

"SetStage StRiScc0440Merdros 20"

And in the "quest stage" panel I gave stage 20 the condition "GetSecondsPassed >=30"

It doesn't work, so I think I've missed something. Any clue?
06-30-2009, 04:53 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by RideWithTheWind
Except for one function. I need the quest to update 30 seconds after discussing a topic with a NPC.

It doesn't work, so I think I've missed something. Any clue?
Since you want to use a timer, attach the script to the quest itself (quest script).

You have to use a count down timer.

Use the result script of the info (your topic) to set the timer and the DoOnce variable: "set StRiScc0440Merdros.convTimer to XX", "set StRiScc0440Merdros.DoOnce to 1" (next line).

Code:
Scriptname XXXX; Quest script

short DoOnce

; Conversation Timer
float convTimer

begin gameMode

if convTimer > 0
    set convTimer to convTimer - GetSecondsPassed
endif

if convTimer <=0 && DoOnce == 1
   SetStage StRiScc0440Merdros 20
   Set DoOnce to 2
endif

end
It's also possible to use "else" in the if statement and to condense the script, but to keep it simple I used this code.

Additional info.
Dum loquor, hora fugit  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
06-30-2009, 10:39 PM,

Thanks, it worked Smile

Here's the quest description. It's a basic "go find me something" type of quest.

Merdros Tilvarel is a retired service servant, he lives in Silgrad City with his daughter, Aryle. He likes to repair bows to help friends and just for the fun of it. Recentely Tedrar Uvain, a friend of Merdros, asked him to repair a special kind of chitin bow, which should be easily done since Merdros has a nice chitin bow schematic. But, as you learn from his daughter, Merdros suffers from memory losses and actually lost the schematic. That's why he needs your help. As a reward, he promises to build another bow of that kind.

First he asks you to have a look around in the house. After a thorough look you realise that it's probably not there. So you go back to Mordros and decide to talk about his memory issue. He eventually accepts the truth, maybe he forgot someone borrowed the document after all...

So you need to talk to Aryle about who has been visiting Merdros lately. She gives a name, you go to seek the document, learn that the borrower knew about Merdros'es memory issue and actually enjoys to borrow stuff from him.

Then you bring the document back to Merdros, he thanks you for the help and says he needs 3 days to build the chitin bow. Of course 3 days later he won't remember, memory loss...

It's a little harsh without reward, I think I'll get Aryle to give a levelled amount of gold. Or maybe I can insert this quest into a guild questline.

@ Sandor : I would need a NPC to play the role of the borrower. Can I choose Sethes Wyrm (from Wyrm's armory), or do you think another one would be a better choice.

I'm not very far into implementing this quest yet, so feel free to suggest anything.
07-01-2009, 06:48 AM,

Thanks, it worked Smile
Great! Smile

Here's the quest description. It's a basic "go find me something" type of quest.

Merdros Tilvarel is a retired service servant, he lives in Silgrad City with his daughter, Aryle. He likes to repair bows to help friends and just for the fun of it. Recentely Tedrar Uvain, a friend of Merdros, asked him to repair a special kind of chitin bow, which should be easily done since Merdros has a nice chitin bow schematic. But, as you learn from his daughter, Merdros suffers from memory losses and actually lost the schematic. That's why he needs your help. As a reward, he promises to build another bow of that kind.

First he asks you to have a look around in the house. After a thorough look you realise that it's probably not there. So you go back to Mordros and decide to talk about his memory issue. He eventually accepts the truth, maybe he forgot someone borrowed the document after all...

So you need to talk to Aryle about who has been visiting Merdros lately. She gives a name, you go to seek the document, learn that the borrower knew about Merdros'es memory issue and actually enjoys to borrow stuff from him.

Then you bring the document back to Merdros, he thanks you for the help and says he needs 3 days to build the chitin bow. Of course 3 days later he won't remember, memory loss...

It's a little harsh without reward, I think I'll get Aryle to give a levelled amount of gold.
I like this quest especially the "memory loss". :goodjob:
A leveled amount of gold sounds good.

@ Sandor : I would need a NPC to play the role of the borrower. Can I choose Sethes Wyrm (from Wyrm's armory), or do you think another one would be a better choice.
Sure, please link the two interiors for reasons of testing.

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
07-01-2009, 09:36 AM,

There's an issue inside Wyrm's interior (SilgradCity0352) : a desk is in the way, both PC and NPC cannot pass. May I fix that myself?

Also, to enable the reference of the document (book type) in Wyrm's house, I did this :

Code:
Scriptname StRiBowSchemeEnableScript  

Begin gamemode  
if GetStage StRiScc0440Merdros =< 20
    StRiBowSchemeRef.Enable  
endif

I took it from an oblivion script but here it doesn't seem to work.
07-01-2009, 04:39 PM,

There's an issue inside Wyrm's interior (SilgradCity0352) : a desk is in the way, both PC and NPC cannot pass. May I fix that myself?
Yes, please.

I assume the "Scheme" is initially disabled and you checked persistent ref.

Code:
Scriptname StRiBowSchemeEnableScript  

short DoOnce

begin gameMode

if GetStage StRiScc0440Merdros =< 20 && DoOnce == 0
    StRiBowSchemeRef.Enable  
        set DoOnce to 1
endif

end
The DoOnce variable ensures that the book is enabled only once.

EDIT
If you attach the script to the book, the script will be running if the interior cell has been loaded (not outside the interior).

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
07-01-2009, 06:11 PM,

There's something wrong with the schematic, it says that only object reference and reference variables are allowed in this context.

The object is a book (scroll type) with persistant reference and initially disabled.

Edit : I also triple checked the spelling.
07-01-2009, 08:59 PM,

There's something wrong with the schematic, it says that only object reference and reference variables are allowed in this context.

The object is a book (scroll type) with persistant reference and initially disabled.

Edit : I also triple checked the spelling.

Is there any chance you didn't give the placed object a reference editor ID? It needs one in order for the script to affect it, in your case StRiBowSchemeRef. In case you're not familiar with them then they're entered in the textbox near the top of the window you get when you doubleclick on an item placed in the world. In case you are then I hope my explanation doesn't offend you. Smile
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
07-12-2009, 04:28 PM,

Thanks, I think I sorted it out.

A question again, the description says the npc is a retired service servant. From what army? The legion? That would be weird for a dunmer. Do Dunmers have their own army with military service, etc. ?

It's nothing important, just to make sure that the dialogs are OK.

The quest is nearly done but I simplified it a bit.
07-12-2009, 04:34 PM,

Thanks for the update. Smile

As a retired civil servant he used to work for the city administration.

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD