Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soluthis' Harbor (wip)
03-05-2009, 03:18 AM,
Soluthis' Harbor (wip)
I thought I'd show screenshots of how my development of Soluthis' harbor is going. It's very loosely based on a design by Kuukulgur from a few years back.

First off I made a new ship entrance in Soluthis' city wall. Beyond the entrance lies another worldspace, so there's going to be layers of partially visible fog in the big gaping hole so players won't see the emptyness beyond it.
[Image: tn_harbor_entr_1.jpg] [Image: tn_harbor_entr_2.jpg] [Image: tn_harbor_entr_3.jpg]

The harbor tower in the distance, overcast condition on the left and rain on the right:
[Image: tn_harbor_distance_oc.jpg] [Image: tn_harbor_distance_rain.jpg]

Approaching the harbor tower, overcast condition on the left and rain on the right:
[Image: tn_harbor_approach_oc.jpg] [Image: tn_harbor_approach_rain.jpg]

The base area, taken during overcast condition.
[Image: tn_harbor_base_oc_1.jpg] [Image: tn_harbor_base_oc_2.jpg] [Image: tn_harbor_base_oc_3.jpg]

The top of the harbor tower, which I've nicknamed Serpent Head, during overcast, rain and night conditions.
[Image: tn_harbor_serpenthead_oc.jpg] [Image: tn_harbor_serpenthead_rain.jpg] [Image: tn_harbor_serpenthead_night.jpg]
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
03-05-2009, 09:21 AM,

Simply amazing razor!

But I thought that the river near Soluthis wasn't connected to the sea..??
03-05-2009, 10:31 AM,

Very nice! Smile

It would be great to sail from lake Ashunor to the harbor. I am planning to add a steerable ship to our mod (the mesh was already prepped by SACarrow).

Quote:Originally posted by simonp92
But I thought that the river near Soluthis wasn't connected to the sea..??
FYI.
Dum loquor, hora fugit  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
03-05-2009, 04:04 PM,

Those models look nice! G'Job, Razorwing! Big Grin

Koniption
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool
03-05-2009, 05:11 PM,

Fantastic models Razorwing!

`Senten
03-05-2009, 08:29 PM,

Loving the serpent head :yes:
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
03-05-2009, 08:57 PM,

Great stuff Razorwing, it just oozes brilliance. :bananarock:
03-05-2009, 09:59 PM,

Thankyou for the nice comments, I'm glad you guys like it!

The only thing I wasn't happy with is how the body of the tower turned out. It's kinda bland and featureless, since Redoran is a challenging style to model given that I can't rely of references from normal fantasy. One thing I could have done, that I wish I would have thought of before, is to add a few patches where it would look like the concrete-like surface has broken off to reveal the stone behind it.

I might update it with that addition later on, and if so I'll add a few windows directly to the house body as well. I'll do some other harbor models in the meantime, so if you have ideas of how I can improve the tower don't hesitate to pitch them.
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
03-06-2009, 03:24 AM,

Here's an example of the effect I was thinking of. This particular "cut-out" turned out too low-polyish, so I'll remake it.

Edit 05:30 C.E.T.: I attached a second screenshot of the "cut-out" effect I'm probably going to use. Tomorrow I'll take a look at adding windows to the model.
Angel mired in filth
03-07-2009, 11:20 AM,

Harbors need wares, naturally - that's primarily what harbors are for.

I was thinking it could be kinda cool to have a Redoran theme to the 'wares containers'. I don't really want to use crates because they feel so Imperial, and besides that the Redoran culture uses very little wood material. It could be pottery, like the general Dunmer urns, but it doesn't feel logical to use pottery for bulk goods. It feels equally illogical to use House Redorans materials of choice, stone and concrete, because it would sink the ships Tongue

The only material idea I have left is hardened leather. Does anyone have a better idea for a Redoran container material? Container in the sense of Redoran's equivalent to a crate. If not, can someone come up with designs for such containers?
Angel mired in filth