Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tes V Skyrim 11/11/2011
10-04-2008, 10:46 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
Quote:Originally posted by Lady Nerevar
no, they are not. well, let me rephrase that, they are not doable in their true self.
Quote:they described the city as "made from glass or insect wings." ... describe the city as straight and glimmering, "a hypnotic swirl of ramparts and impossibly high towers, designed to catch the light of the sun and break it to its component colors, which lies draped across its stones until you are thankful for nightfall.
can you mod that? no.

making summerset would require massive technology (shaders, various maps, etc.) that games today either do not have or do not commonly use. it also requires absolute creativity: nothing is less summerset than tolkein. summerset is beyond belief, a ant colony in its structure and pure dream in its visual glory. summerset is Morrowind + 20. summerset is everything oblivion was not.

Now now Lady Nerevar, I'm sure you remember that Cyrodiil used to be a province dominated by jungles. Bethesda aren't above modifying lore to suit their plans for a game, and if they want a game set in Summerset Isles you can bet they'll change the definition of it to something that is feasible in a game setting. Honestly, it would be pretty tarded if they let their own lore box them in so much that it interferes with a multi-million dollar venture like a new ES game.

Anyway, regarding the MMORPG issue I'm an old sod and I like my games the way I'm used to them - me and the computer. If I want to chat I go online, I don't want to have to deal with people inside my computer games. Among other things I want to kill a guy in a game and know there isn't some poor soul on the other end that got upset because he lost his avatar. But yeah, primarily I don't want the hassle of monthly payments and the impending doom of ceased payments shutting me out of that game - assuming I would even be able to make montly payments from my account all the way over to Amerikat.

I also agree with the point others in the thread raised, when I play an ES game I want to be the hero who saves the world (who doesn't?) and that's not gonna happen in a MMORPG where there's more heroes than there are people in the city I live in. And last but not least I enjoy the mixture of a fun game as well as the focus of an entertaining hobby, and a game that can't be modded for wouldn't satiate my creativity.

So personally I wouldn't buy an Elder Scrolls MMORPG. The ES label would neither add nor detract anything from the experience for me. Unless it was set in Morrowind, then I'd be a bit curious about it... but that won't happen, so. (But if an Elder Scrolls MMORP does happen then by all means I hope it does well and helps Bethesda flourish.)

I agreed with Razorwing.

I hate the MMORPG's.They'r laggy,they have bad graphic and there are a lot of noobs.
Why so beautifull the Elder Scrolls?Because the ES have a great story and a great world.So i really hope it come as a normal RPG.

RW: Oh btw Big Grin .When i play an ES Game,i wanna hide in a swamp and rest. Big Grin
10-05-2008, 12:34 AM,

Different games appeal to different people. Personally, I love playing both MMO's and Single-player games. I played both EverQuest and Morrowind and never preferred one over the other, and I admit that playing World of Warcraft was actually a lot of fun. It depends on your own personal preferences.

One one had, people hate having their gaming experiences ruined by other noobs who break immersion and ruin gameplay for others. It's also a big hit to lore, as the game's environment needs to be readjusted to support the concept of many people all doing the same thing. That is where we begin to see repetition, like you'd expect to see in WoW. They also need to find any way at all to support the big lore hit that will be created when every single player is set as the hero that will save the world. Everyone is the important figure set by prophecy to complete the storyline. You will have more saviors than citizens.

On the other hand, many other people enjoy having the social interaction that you can't get in a single player game. in an MMO, everyone online is another person you can interact with. You can make friends, do things with other people without having to leave your computer. In games like Oblivion, you are the only one there, and though you can have as many companion mods as you want, not a single one of them can capture the feeling of a real person who acts independently and dynamically. You will also have a dynamic gameplay environment, where things are constantly added and changed as time goes on. There is economy, opportunity, jobs and professions you can do that will actually let you earn a profit from other people.

Basically, it's something like this. An MMO is like going outside to play a cheap game of pirates. It is cheap and nothing like pirates, but you are out with your friends. Meanwhile, you can instead stay inside and play with your pirate action figures. You can have an actual boat and a bunch of little pirates to populate it with, but none of them are real. But inside, you can still have fun, and you don't have to worry about the fact that if you were to go outside, one of the other kids could have been a bully and ruined your fun.

And apart from all this, one must consider what Bethesda considers best for themselves. They make a lot of money, but it's far from a constant stream. The need for money for them was apparent when they charged for the official mods, which they did not do with Morrowind. So, their choice is to make another single player game with Elder Scrolls 5, which is much easier to make and is pretty much guaranteed to keep them going financially for quite a few years to come, or they could try their luck with an MMO, which would require a lot more time spent to make a game designed for thousands, but ensures a steady stream of money for the entire time the game stays alive. However, to run an MMO requires constant upkeep and additions to keep the players happy and the game running smoothly, and you are at a risk of becoming crushed by larger competition like WoW.

Either way, whatever they make next, I will play it.
Lol what?
10-05-2008, 01:00 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by IAMTHEEMPEROR
The need for money for them was apparent when they charged for the official mods, which they did not do with Morrowind.

I thought the background to that was that Microsoft pretty much demanded that they have some form of online content for their Xbox 360 release. Microsoft wanted their take, so the content couldn't be free of charge. (And so I figured they also charged for the PC version of the official mods to keep Xbox'ers from feeling cheated.) I could be wrong, but I think that if Bethesda had a choice they would rather have released two expansion packs instead of having to pace themselves in releasing official mods and then find themselves in a position where Oblivion only have economic viability for the release of one expansion pack.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
10-05-2008, 03:06 AM,

Don't know if that's it exactly. Although Microsoft does enjoy their money, most of it goes to the people who release the mods (And I don't believe anyone besides Beth would Tongue) And usually it seems up to company discretion whether they charge for content or not. I've browsed around on the Xbox Live Marketplace a bit and I've seen that many games do release content for free.

But, I'm not Bethesda, so I don't know for sure what would have happened in that situation.
Lol what?
10-16-2008, 12:29 PM,

Good Topic

I agree with Lady N from a technology standpoint Summerset would be extremely difficult to create based on the current documented lore.

HOWEVER we know Beth can change that at a whim

Regardless of any of that I think the next release from Beth in the ES Series will be another expansion for OB

Then I think they will do Akavir

Just a hunch

Enjoy
Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories
10-16-2008, 01:11 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by bob196045
Good Topic

I agree with Lady N from a technology standpoint Summerset would be extremely difficult to create based on the current documented lore.

HOWEVER we know Beth can change that at a whim

Regardless of any of that I think the next release from Beth in the ES Series will be another expansion for OB

Then I think they will do Akavir

Just a hunch

Enjoy
Bob

Well,i think Akavir is TOO Small for as a new episode,i think akavir is good as an expansion..But i dunno.I think they do Skyrim,the province is doable,not too hard.But that's my idea.
03-26-2009, 08:59 PM,

By the way, I was just reminded of the scoop some six months ago. Back then in October -08 an insider at Bethesda - Paul Oughton, publishing executive - did say: "Potentially there's a new Elder Scrolls title in 2010." The Games Industry website ran an article on the subject following the announcement.

So my money is bet on the theory that there'll be a release announcement in late -09 and a release date goal of Christmas season 2010.

Unlike last time I won't buy my new computer in good time. Tongue I got it in October -05 and the game didn't come out until late March -06; I wonder how much money I would have saved if I had waited, or how much better my hardware could have been for the same bucks? Oh well, it's worked well for me over the years so I'm not complaining.
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
03-26-2009, 11:20 PM,

For the next Elder Scrolls game I want to see Black Marsh personally. And no more of this rated T absurdity. It's high time the Elder Scrolls get back to the dark, mysterious roots that were planted with Daggerfall and Morrowind. Frankly, I don't feel that a world of unicorns crapping out rainbows, and knights in shining armor saving princesses -- much of what was seen in Oblivion -- is going to cut it this time.

Not to mention, Black March is a brutally unforgiving place. Making it for little teenies just wouldn't fit.
I'll die to win, 'cuz I was born to loose.
[Image: nirvana.jpg]
03-27-2009, 01:48 AM,

Definitely agree with you there, ZDawg. From a player's perspective I hope they bring in the dismemberments from Fallout 3 in the next ES game.

Black Marsh would be a fun province to explore, but I think it would be hard to make it appeal to really mainstream players. I think Skyrim or High Rock are solid bets because it's easy to make broad fantasy in those settings, but personally I'm crossing my fingers it'll be Summerset Isle.

Deeza, Ibsen's Ghost: The board description of Oblivion General is "Discussions regarding the game rather than mods for it.". Any post about the games themselves is welcome here. Smile
Angel mired in filth
03-27-2009, 03:32 AM,

Well that's what I'm saying. I want Elder Scrolls to go back to its roots. Morrowind wasn't mainstream fantasy, and it was one of my favorite games. I only like Oblivion for its pretty graphics, its combat and magic system, and the fact that it is fully modifiable. Other than that, to story has no more complexity than a two year-old's picture book, probably less. I always saw the goal of the original ES games (Arena - Morrowind) as an attempt to break away from the mainstream fantasy scene.

I don't know about dismemberment... unless they can make it more realistic, not rubber limbs flying around with cherry sauce. Darker content is what I was going for. I want some truly sinister choices in the game, that actually shape the world, unlike Oblivions cookie-cutter quests that were neither fun, nor interesting, nor did they offer interesting rewards.

Of course, there should be a choice to be good as well, but I would like the choice to be truly evil for a change, or to be morally ambiguous.

I suppose that in any case, I can't wait to play the next ES game. Even Oblvion captivated me at first. I can still remember the feeling of awe I got when I first started up the game. THe first few hours of playing I played with my mouth open. I know that the next ES game will make me feel the same. Hopefully for a longer time than its predecessor.

Also, yes Sumerset Isle is amazingly cool.

Actually, come to think of it, anywhere in Tamriel is pretty amazing.
I'll die to win, 'cuz I was born to loose.
[Image: nirvana.jpg]