Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The test of patterns [claimed]
03-28-2008, 07:45 AM,

Lets not get DisOrder and Pattern confused, though with respect in most cases they are similar

I think we should open a new discussion for the other just so we won't get it confused, I'll do that Smile

A Pattern: a theme of reoccurring events or objects, sometimes referred to as elements of a set. These elements repeat in a predictable manner.

I like the levers, but I don't think the symbols should correspond but should be linear for example

if you have 11 pillars on each side (left and right)

and the left pillars are numbered

1, 2, 3, 10,11,12, 19,20,21, 28,29 (pillar 12) if their was one would be 30

the theme is the number 9

each sequence is 9 from the presvious sequence in order 1,10 2,11 3,12 etc etc

so lever 9 would be the one to pull

so lets make this easier say we have a room with 3 pillars on each side

the left side

pillar 1 has the numbers 1,5,9 or symbols for those numbers would be more appropriete

pillar 2 has 8,12,16
pillar 3 has 15,19,23

ok we have 2 patterns we have a reoccuring 4 and a reoccuring 7

so now lets look at the levers lets say we have 10 levers

this pattern says I should pull levers 4 and 7

now the right side

pillar 1 has 3,6,9
pillar 2 13,16,19
pillar 3 23,26,29

again 2 reocurring numbers 3 and 10

now I have levers 3,4,7 & 10 to pull and wham the door opens

something like this sound good ?

Enjoy
Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories
03-28-2008, 01:23 PM,

See, the problem is that that's a bit confusing even for me to read, let alone a player try to figure out on his own...

I personally liked your previous pattern, which i tried to paraphrase in my other post. The one with the shifting numbers: 4,2,5,1,3 -> 2,5,1,3,4 -> 5,1,3,4,2 -> 1,3,4,2,5. And then the final pattern, which opens the door, is obviously 3,4,2,5,1

I think it's a bit easier to understand personally, and requires just four pillars, and five levers. Simply press the levers in the sequence of the last pattern, and the door opens. Confusedhrug:
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
I do work sometimes - I swear!
03-28-2008, 07:50 PM,

?( ME confusing, I don't believe it :lmao:

Thats fine, the concept is understood, so however you want to approach it is ok by me :yes:

Enjoy
Bob Zero

03-31-2008, 02:19 AM,

My real question is thus: How are we going to represent the pattern ingame?

It's very simple to make all the scripts for the levers and such, but first we've got to find a way to show the pattern to the player.

We could make special glyph models, but that requires assigning each glyph to a lever, and that makes it kind of obvious.

The question then is how else we could represent the pattern (in a way that can be duplicated 4x).

ooh, just had an idea!

Lights! If we can get lights to turn on and off, then we can use them to make sequences. Then we could just have 4 rows of lights, each flashing in the pattern.

Also, if we do it this way we could have the player activate the lights, so that he/she knows when the pattern starts for each light.

What do you think?
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
03-31-2008, 07:46 AM,

OK

I think we are in a confusion mode again

Lights are good

The idea is to have th player figure out the pattern, it should be difficult, but not so difficult that the player will cheat or give up, plus we have the Doron Journal to help

if we use lights

make a light that has a very low (dim) light
and one with no light

place the lights on the walls within a room

see example

Enjoy
Bob

03-31-2008, 07:53 PM,

I was doing the order by which you press them, instead of whether they are switched on or off.

But i think that whether they are switched on or off will be slightly easier to impliment. Maybe we'll have 5 lights, just to make it harder to guess randomly.

I think we should give the ones that need to be pressed their own separate wall, maybe the one that the door is in, just so that it's obvious that the lights need to be pressed. And additionally, we can have a lever to press for when you've keyed in the correct sequence. if the sequence is right, the door clicks open, if not, the door hurts you.
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
04-01-2008, 02:20 AM,

the number of lights used is really not important, as long as an obvious pattern can be derived from it, but I don't thinK 5 would be enough (total lghts)

The lights needing to be switched on or off wouls all be on the same wall Yes

Enjoy
Bob

04-01-2008, 03:10 AM,

Hmm, doing some quick math, we find that 5 levers = 32 total combinations for off/on. Adding each lever makes it double (basically exponents of 2), so 6 levers = 64 combinations, 7 levers = 128, 8 levers = 256, 9=512, 10 = 1024....

i don't think anyone's ever going to guess the correct sequence out of 1024, so 10's probably the highest we should go.

I'll start working on this as soon as i get the chance. It really shouldn't be too hard, all i need are scripts to enable/disable lights through an activator, and then a global script to "read" which lights are enabled.

Disorder will be harder
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
04-01-2008, 09:21 AM,

your doing the math all wrong

their is no exponents or possible combinations

its patterns

lights

ON
OFF
ON
ON
OFF
ON
OFF
ON
ON
OFF
ON
? =OFF
? =ON
? =ON
? =OFF

plus again we have the journal to help

We have made it to the first room: If memory serves this is were the Dwemer will have begun their testing, This shouldbe the Test of Patterns

next entry

Their are several lights on the walls some on and some off, I beleive this to be the test, I will study them to see if I can find the pattern

next entry

Yes Yes Indeed it is the lights, the pattern is with their on or off position the sequence is
light on
light off
light on
light on
light off

I will mae the necessary adjustments to the remainging lights

Yes the Test of Disorder should be harder

Enjoy
Bob

04-01-2008, 10:05 PM,

no, i mean the possible patterns of lights are exponential. For example, with 2 lights, you can either have on-off, on-on, off-on, or off-off. that's 4 possibilities right there. 3 lights is on-on-off, on-on-on, on-off-on, on-off-off, off-on-on, off-on-off, off-off-on, off-off-off. 8 possibilities for a combination.

My point is that there is a chance that the player would be able to GUESS the combination without using the pattern. Having more lights ensures that the player MUST use the pattern.

And i think we should be cautious with how much we put in the journal. It shouldn't be obvious
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala