Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
These computers, can they run Oblivion?
04-22-2007, 04:44 PM,
These computers, can they run Oblivion?
I know I have posted such a thing before but now I think the time is right for me to get a new PC. Problems include college coming up in a year, but I'm sure if I work and get parents' approval I SHOULD be able to get a PC, hell maybe I'll even get some money-help from my parents. But the mods I am leading are beginning to lift up off the ground. Vvardenfell can begin major modding now, and Black Marsh I will carry on my back if I have to. There is also the Dreugh mod that is intended for TES4 but hell, might end up being my first TES5 project if TES5 comes out within 3-4 years.

considering these requirements:
  • Recommended:
    * 3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
    * 1 GB System RAM
    * ATI X800 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card

Minimum System Requirements:
    * Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows XP 64-bit
    * 512MB System RAM
    * 2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
    * 128MB Direct3D compatible video card
    * and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;
    * 8x DVD-ROM drive
    * 4.6 GB free hard disk space
    * DirectX 9.0c (included)
    * DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
    * Keyboard, Mouse

Supported Video Card Chipsets:
    * ATI X1900 series
    * ATI X1800 series
    * ATI X1600 series
    * ATI X1300 series
    * ATI X850 series
    * ATI x800 series
    * ATI x700 series
    * ATI x600 series
    * ATI Radeon 9800 series
    * ATI Radeon 9700 series
    * ATI Radeon 9600 series
    * ATI Radeon 9500 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce 6200 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce FX series
would these DELL computers, Dimension and XPS (LINK), work? I'm not at all computer savvy so I can't figure much out, let alone build my own computer. My family isn't too helpful to me, not that they can't be, they just aren't despite that fact I am the hardest-working and most respectful sibling, I'm also always getting the short end of the stick. I tried a torrent crack version of Oblivion but it didn't work though it took me 3 weeks to download. My fanancial situation is a bit better now, I can afford a PC less than $1200 (US money). I've heard great things and bad things about DELL but they seem reliable with a fair amount of customization. I may be able to get a few good deals, but I need to have a good idea of what computer to get.

So I ask ya'll Oblivion modders and forum-goers, advice please?
I personally think that I have two choices if I want to be able to play and mod Oblivion. I can either upgrade or get a new PC.
My computer now has more than 30 GB of space cause I added another harddrive. 256 MB DDR 'for optimal performance' but dunno if that's RAM or not. I have an Integrated SIS REAL256 graphics... not up to Oblivion's minimum I think. But I do have a DVD disc slot...

Personally I think the XPS210 isn't too bad for Oblivion ---> LINK

Thanks guys, I hope it all turns out well
04-22-2007, 05:01 PM,

I would ask around; find some friends who have Dells and ask how they hold up. Then find one that has the best specs you can afford.

Also, MAKE SURE YOU GET Windows XP. Trust me, (especially if you are not that savvy with computers) you do NOT want to waste your time in the mess that is currently Vista. Oblivion and most other programs worth a flip are incredibly unstable.

And yes, 256 MB DDR would be 256 MB of RAM.
|m0use.net|
04-22-2007, 05:12 PM,

so do you know of ways to increase my 256 RAM to more than meet the Oblivion's 512MB RAM minimum?
as for XP vs. Vista, it seems most of the DELLs are equipped with Vista now... doesn't sound like good news to me

I heard Vista gives a lot of trouble to pre-Vista programs and though nice isn't really worth it

I'll go ask a friend of mine who has a lot of computers and abbles with them 7 days a week to see what he thinks. Thanks for the advice, if anyone else has suggestions please post, I need all the suggestions I can get, cause a new PC for me is a big investment, its gotta last and do what I need it to do
04-22-2007, 05:50 PM,

If you really got the money Wacom made a incredible sweet laptop. I know I want it. It has a build in tablet in the screen...
"Why would I be bound by rules if I can see so far beyond them?"

"I think, therefore I am" - Descartes
"I don't think, therefore I spam"

"Do not seek to follow the footsteps of the wise, seek what they sought"

"On top of the world"
04-22-2007, 06:05 PM,

I'd say go for at least 1GB Ram, possibly more if you can.
04-22-2007, 07:06 PM,

After looking at the XPS210, I think the grafics card would be a problem. Personally, I have the X1300 pro and it runs oblivion pretty well, but I heard that most of them are pretty bad. If you can get the exact model information I can tell you more.
And I agree with the at least one gig of ram, less would be pretty bad, especially for modding.
Edit: Don't get it, because after looking at the pricing and such, you only get the X1300 at the most expensive price.
My mage is an honor student at the Arcane University.
04-22-2007, 07:11 PM,

alright thanks, I'll look at some others too, and my dad can sometimes get some big discounts from connection he has at work, I'll see if I can get his opinion on some of the computers too, thanks guys so far
04-22-2007, 07:16 PM,

I went through the process of choosing the specific parts, and assuming that you have a keyboard, speakers, no need for a floppy, have security software, and a monitor, with the better graphics card it would be $999.
My mage is an honor student at the Arcane University.
04-22-2007, 07:24 PM,

My computer only cost $500 (2 years ago), and it runs oblivion fine. I think the major problems in a prebuilt computer are likely to be video card and possibly ram. I'd definitely suggest 1 GB ram, but you can easily get more from newegg. Trust me, ram isn't hard at all to install. Open computer, plug ram into slot. Plenty of guides and all. As for video cards i have a Radeon 9600 SE, that has like 128mb video ram, and it runs oblivion fine. Any prebuilt computer nowadays is likely to have something better than that, though it depends on price.

As for vista, i've heard that it DOES have it's problems, but it's mostly for if you are trying to run high-tech video and sound programs, such as you would find in a media-center edition of XP. All the codecs aren't in and such, but if you aren't planning to do much movie editing, you should be fine from what i understand.

on the bright side Wink vista also makes piracy very hard, because it attatches everything your computer uploads or burns with a personal tag. So if some dastardly fellow was to upload a piece of music to the internet (the horror!) that music would carry a small tag, from which the authorities would be able to identify the fiend who uploaded it, and the fiends who then downloaded it. Same thing happens if the same villain were to burn a disk. It's all traceable now supposedly. Yay for an end to computer piracy!
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
I do work sometimes - I swear!
04-22-2007, 07:51 PM,

so does Windows Vista actually make you unable to play Oblivion or mod it well?

Quote:Originally posted by WhiteWizard
I went through the process of choosing the specific parts, and assuming that you have a keyboard, speakers, no need for a floppy, have security software, and a monitor, with the better graphics card it would be $999.
I see ok
so this is with parts from a place like newegg or from that XPS210 ?

Quote:Originally posted by Seniosh
My computer only cost $500 (2 years ago), and it runs oblivion fine. I think the major problems in a prebuilt computer are likely to be video card and possibly ram. I'd definitely suggest 1 GB ram, but you can easily get more from newegg. Trust me, ram isn't hard at all to install. Open computer, plug ram into slot. Plenty of guides and all. As for video cards I have a Radeon 9600 SE, that has like 128mb video ram, and it runs oblivion fine. Any prebuilt computer nowadays is likely to have something better than that, though it depends on price.
that makes me think maybe i should just do some research on video card and RAM to see if I can simply upgrade my computer... when it comes down it it's just cost-effectiveness I am looking for, whatever can get me what i want for cheaper.... but preferrably not just meeting minimum requirements