Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Velothi Tile Set
10-31-2005, 09:35 PM,
Velothi Tile Set
Good News Mates. I can tell you guys I have begun work on the much anticipated Velothi Tile Set for use in the Silgrad Tower, as well as the Morrowind reconstruction Project I keep hearing about.

Now that Razorwing has cleaned his pants (only cuz I promised to do this for some time, and now its actually moving forward), I am in the concept stage. I am reviewing the Original tile sets, and looking at it with the attitude, what is missing....what did they leave out of Morrowind. They probably had things they would have like to have seen, but for game engine contrants, left out. So, for a while here, I will be posting Images (if the Forum lets me) of WIP constructs, for the purpose of recieving general feedback on the design and progress.

I am deviating somewhat from the original meshes to add more architecural depth that, I feel, was omitted from Morrowind because it would have simply been too many polygons. Archways were made square, with no support beams or columns, rounded edges were squared to save polies, the ceilings were flat throughout... which is NOT proper engineering for subterrianian construction. Archways were used to support the weight of the rock overhead, and the ceiling themselves were usually curved to further strengthen them.

Here are some of the 1st screens of my WIP. you can see the hallways construct. With thise pieces, a whole section and a half section, I can copy, paste, booolean stretch and make many more sections. The domed curve structure of the hallways can be stretched legnthwise to make the curvature more rectantular, and cieling candelabras can be hung from the indentions in the cieling for realistic lighting, and with the uppder side walls having more height in the middle of each section, burial selfs could be inserted to make it feel more like a crypt, or endented selves for ash urns. There are close endcaps on the construct peiced so I can overlap the peices and boolean them to create uniue solid peices like 4-way intersections, etc, then I can remove the faces that make up the endcap, andshazaam, finished mesh of complex intersections. rooms and such will have to be done in and of themselves. but they will have a similar feel. The hieght of the structrue at its shortest point is the same as the morrowind-meshes maximum height. So they height you nsee in Velothi tombs in morrowind will be the hieght that you see in the low-archways, which the rof curving higher in the middle and candles hanging from the center...or even skylights from shafts that go so high only a bright square of sinlight can be seen in the distance.

What you think? Honest opinions now are crtuicial as this is the concept stage, and changes now are Far easier than later. :bananarock:
I'm like a cat in a room full of rocking chairs, except I was screwed with having 6 tails and flat feet...

www.spankybus.com - Homepage (professional - Under Construction)

www.spankybus.net - 3D version (under construction)
11-01-2005, 01:57 AM,
RE: Velothi Tile Set
Can't tell alot now but i agree that the arched ceilings will add more depth.
11-01-2005, 03:07 AM,

Hi spankybus,

what I see looks definitely good and following your train of thoughts I agree and say carry on.

Good job.

Greetings

Quentin
That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs, but what a ship is - what the Black Pearl really is - is freedom.
11-01-2005, 11:59 AM,

Hmm? My pants are always clean and minty-fresh, I assure you. :elk:

I think your ideas are very sound, and from your description and screenies I think you're getting a good blend between advancing the models and being true to the original design. Ceiling candelabras could work well for a civilized setting, like a temple, or a Velothi village (there was one in Telvanni territory on Vvardenfell, but the name escapes me at the moment). Your skylight idea is really good too, for a modder who's ambitious enough to set it up so that the exterior corresponds with the interior. But for a tomb experience it would be very neat to see braziers again; I always felt they echoed the ancientness of those places. Do you plan to make a brazier model? *crosses fingers*

Two thumbs up from me Big Grin
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
11-01-2005, 06:08 PM,

The minty Fresh comment I find rather disturbing lol

I can try to make a brazier. However, decor selection is probably best left to the Oblivion Constructon set selection since those items will likely be fully animated and already take full advantage of the TES4 game engine. Just my Advice, beut we can always make absent items after the fact if needs be. :yes:
I'm like a cat in a room full of rocking chairs, except I was screwed with having 6 tails and flat feet...

11-01-2005, 11:31 PM,

Here is what I mean about Combining the one part, using booleans and such to make more complex parts. here is a 4-way intersection. you can see the domed Roof in teh center with the traditionally shaped Velothi hallways connection ports, where the previous hallways part connects to...fun fun

11-01-2005, 11:40 PM,

I imagine there'd be animated open flame models in Oblivion as there was in Morrowind, especially in light (pardon the pun) of the many fire-y screenshots, which could be stuck on an un-animated brazier model. It's not the most important thing in the world of course, just a nice little ambience thing.

The hallway looks great I think, good job on that. Textured and lit up in-game, it'll really rock! :bananarock:
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
11-02-2005, 08:28 PM,

3 way intersection ready, here is a test alignment of the 3 different constructs. best image yet of how the new look will appear in a more completed stretch of interior. The hallways are a bit narrower than originally, i was thinking of the 3rd Indiana Jones in the catacombs with the rats, they were narrow and tall, so i dort of adapted that here. Not much narrower mind you, so there is room to move, but with the curved cielings it appears more narrow than it actually is, really giving it a tomb feeling. imho of course. Now your opinions please. :bananarock:

11-02-2005, 10:10 PM,

Will we still be able to decorate the hallways with banners and stuff like that? If so I don't think making the hallways narrower is a bad idea. As long as the player and enemies can move around like they should, of course, but I have no doubt they will. :goodjob:
Angel mired in filth
11-03-2005, 02:24 AM,

what are you guys' thoughts on putting traps in Velothi tombs?
traditionally, only family members could go into tombs to lay a body to rest or to create guardians...
the guardians are undead usually souls of unhelpful members now made to protect the tomb... but wouldn't it be logical for the ancient Chimer and Dunmer to have made traps within the tombs to prevent looters and desecraters?

...traps WILL be a big part of TES4 Oblivion dungeons, that much I know

EDIT: by the way, the Velothi tile sets are amazing! :goodjob: