Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
heightmapper DISCUSSION
09-01-2006, 11:18 PM,

alright let's see...

guys tell me the conversion again please?

cells, quards, etc.
09-01-2006, 11:41 PM,

1 Morrowind cell = 4 Oblivion cells. (2x2 OB cells)
1 quad = 31x31 Oblivion cells.
1 quad = 1024x1024 pixel heightmap.
09-01-2006, 11:59 PM,

On the current scale ST's southern landmass would take up about 117 quads (13x9), depending on where you draw the north and south line. Is it technically impossible to fit that and have it working properly in one worldspace?
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
09-02-2006, 12:01 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by TheImperialDragon
PM'd him.

Okay, here is what the quads will look like for the Silgrad Tower map (roughly). No, I didn't do Vvar or Blacklight yet, I want to hear what people think of this one first.

Red square = 1 quad
yellow square = 12 x 12 OB cells (In TES3, 1 cell)

See the above post for the Silgrad Map.
09-02-2006, 12:06 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
On the current scale ST's southern landmass would take up about 117 quads (13x9), depending on where you draw the north and south line. Is it technically impossible to fit that and have it working properly in one worldspace?
Like I said before a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, a worldspace can be 256x256 quads. You'll want to reserve the edge quads for border regions. Now, there's some problems with generating distant LOD beyond a certain area, but, apparently, Proconsul found a way around that limit.
I would REALLY like to have the door open for adding in the rest of Morrowind to the worldspace.
09-02-2006, 12:23 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Axen

Like I said before a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, a worldspace can be 256x256 quads. You'll want to reserve the edge quads for border regions. Now, there's some problems with generating distant LOD beyond a certain area, but, apparently, Proconsul found a way around that limit.
I would REALLY like to have the door open for adding in the rest of Morrowind to the worldspace.

So even with the north (Blacklight) and south (ST) landmass it would take up like less than a tenth of the maximum space, and that's even without toying with the idea of using multiple worldspaces. Plenty of space for Vvardenfell too.

The debate on the scale our mod's landmass will use has been beaten to death, resurrected, and beaten to death again. A six-week long public poll resulted in an overwhelming support for a very large landmass - 16x16. A core vote followed later on, that resulted in the final decision being 12x12, which this thread reflects. If there had been any technical problems in the way we might have been forced to take another look. Since there aren't, the matter is settled.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
09-02-2006, 12:25 AM,

I would like all of Morrowind in, however Vvardenfell being big is main concern... and since we are sharing with ST, we might as well count ourselves together in that we are the main concern though having the rest of the province is ideal

Quote:Originally posted by Axen

as would I... the entire Morrowind province...

I was discussing with Swedishfish about the possibility of linking Black marsh with southern Morrowind... however we decided on nothing yet and also that would be just WAY too big now that I think about it...
09-02-2006, 12:42 AM,

So even with the north (Blacklight) and south (ST) landmass it would take up like less than a tenth of the maximum space, and that's even without toying with the idea of using multiple worldspaces. Plenty of space for Vvardenfell too.
That size is MASSIVE. Think big, but not too big. That, and Vvardenfell would also have to be upscaled so it doesn't look odd next to ST's landmass. And then what about the possibility of the rest of Morrowind? Multiple worldspaces is also a VERY bad idea... wouldn't work too well and it'd be highly immersion breaking. Plus, again, consider that you'd need to wait for GeoControl v2 for a landmass larger than 4x4 quads.
09-02-2006, 12:43 AM,

No you do not, what is this seam you speak of? Its perfectly seamless.
The soul's condition is learning to fly
Condition grounded, but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Toung-tied and twisted, just an Earth-bound misfit, I
09-02-2006, 12:44 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by DarkAsmodeous
No you do not, what is this seam you speak of? Its perfectly seamless.
... You can CLEARLY see where the edges of the quads are when you flatten them like that.