Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
quentin fortune , where is he ?
11-19-2006, 05:40 PM,

Thanks a lot for yor kind words, my friends, they mean a lot to me ...

Nothing has changed much since last week: still no phone, still lots of work to do, still pain in my arms and yet I'm feeling well.

I took the opportunity to stroll throgh the various boards and posts and boy, AM I impressed. You've all done a tremendous job. Lots of thumbs up for you. (I wonder though, if I'll ever be able to catch up :poorme: )

I have no idea when I'll be able to join in on a regular base, but until then, I'll try to be here at least once or twice a week, checking out what's going on and maybe I find the one or other thing I can do.

Quote:Todgesagte leben l?nger!

Well spoken, very well spoken. Big Grin

So until we meet again, farewell and may the gods guide your paths

Greetings

Quentin
That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs, but what a ship is - what the Black Pearl really is - is freedom.
04-27-2008, 12:56 PM,

and he was last active more than 1 year ago. together with some other honorary members, i do hope we havent lost em
Utterly Crazy Writer of Dumac City
05-08-2008, 09:15 PM,

Nope, you can't lose me. Just like a piece of chewing gum, sticking at the sole of your shoe.

Almost eighteen months? :O By the gods, I'm compelled to ask "has it really been that long?" Seems so.

To be honest, I'm not quite sure what it was in detail that kept me away for so long, but since my last post, life became ... quite intense.

One of the things that kept my personal focus away from almost anything else was the strange kind of career I made at my job (I work for a huge IT company once famous for its superior printers). Although I wouldn't consider myself 'qualified' (as long as you see it the German way, with courses & papers & documents & certificates) I got more and more responsible in an area that is best described as 'controlling and reporting'. Fortunately it's much more interesting than what I did before, but on the other hand it's much more time-consuming and demanding since some of the stuff I do goes directly to our customer and ... let's say it's not always easy to please them. Wink

And unfortunately the added workload and responsibility has no equal counterpart in my salary. Rolleyes

Another side-effect was a deep creative hole, which gave me an emotional downslide that was quite difficult to overcome. I hadn't written a song or a poem for what seemed like an endless time to me and I hadn't even been able to draw some creative output from the gloominess that kind of surrounded me like a cloak.

My best songs have always been born of anger and outrage about what goes on in this world (that could be so wonderful and yet is so terrible sometimes), while my poems benefit from my dark and moody side. And there I was, too moody, too outraged and - foremost - too exhausted, to express myself.

It didn't help that in a parallel storyline I had to recognize that I had to let go of the hopes and dreams of what I had thought to be 'my companion', you know? The one and only until death do us part.
As in my last post - I won't go into detail; sorry folks. Wink Some things are better left unsaid, even though it doesn't hurt anymore.

Fortunately, things can still go worse. Besides Reena McGuire who was, is and ever will be my best and closest friend, my band, Dark Sirius, has always been my emotional anchor. Five guys, rocking the world to shreds; five friends, having fun together.

In the second half of the last year it looked like this anchor was going to rust and rot. First, our drummer left us; luckily our guitar player brought a replacement, but we had to cancel two gigs and since the new guy hadn't played for quite some time we more or less had to start from square one.
Second our bass player and me got more and more discontent about the direction our music took. The two of us (making music together now for sixteen years) wanted a more clean and transparent style (we're both more or less coming from the Punk / 80s New Wave / early Gothic field, but we both listen to a lot of other music as well ... basically anything that's good and with feeling) while our guitar player is a deep-down-to-the-bone 70s Rock guy; lots of echo, reverb, delay, distortion (for the best: put it all together in one sound), no straight rhythm, lots of licking riffs and ... soli - of course. Any idea to put more variety to our sound (keyboards, maybe a second guitar, a violin) - killed in an instant.

(Don't get me wrong, he's a really nice guy; otherwise we wouldn't have made music with him for almost nine years. But the discussions about our sound and direction got more and more annoying and there was no chance for a compromise)

To make a long story short: just when our bass player and me decided to open a new side project where we could make the music we wanted to - our guitar player found - hopefully, hopefully, hopefully - the love of his life and after three months decided to move into the town where she lived (it's 300 km away, so coming to our rehearsals were out of question, but we're still in contact)

So there we stood, minus one guitar ... which left us with none. And so, after what seemed like an endless time to me, I had to take the guitar again and sing while playing ... after being the lead singer for nine years.

The first moments it was incredously unaccustomed, but then - it worked. And it worked well, if I'm to believe my friends and fellow musicians. By now we got a second guitar player, which brings more power to our music and leaves me the opportunity to put my guitar away from time time and so ... the train is rolling again.

We're working on our repertiore (the new guy is just a few weeks with us) , I've started to write songs again (mere fragments now, but the seed for something new is there), the fair maiden are nothing to hide from any longer Wink ... life is life again.

And with all of the parts falling into place I honestly don't wonder, that my heart called me back to this place. Whatever I'll do - I don't know for sure.

I can say though, that I most definitely won't mod for Oblivion; the game has been an utter disappointment for me, I even lend my copy to ... someone and completely forgot to whom (it wouldn't be a Sisyphus task to find out, but honestly, I didn't care when I recognized it and I'm not sure, if I care now).

But anything else ... we'll see. Big Grin

And after all this ranting & rambling, it's time to close this post. I bid you farewell for now

Greetings

Quentin

P.S.: :banana:
That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs, but what a ship is - what the Black Pearl really is - is freedom.