Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
speedtree crash problem
02-10-2009, 07:26 PM,
speedtree crash problem
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some help for a problem that has been plaguing me for months now. I have been trying to use some of Senten's resources and we seem to have a continual series of incompatibility problems. Texture issues have now been solved but I am still struggling with speedtrees.

I have been informed on how to get speedtrees into Oblivion by adding 'New' in the tree folder's object window. I then have an object ID and choose a leaf type. But it's when I try to move that into the render window that there's a big problem because it immediately crashes the CS.

Does anyone have any ideas on what is causing this and what I can do about it....? It's the only thing stopping me from really making progress with the jungle region for Black Marsh.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
02-10-2009, 08:00 PM,

Hello IG.

I think its a Billboard Problem.

You can see the billboard textures in the billboard folder.
All trees have a billboard.And both must have the same name.

For example:

You have a speedtree,named PineTree01.spt . So its have a billboard.If the billboard don't have the same name(PineTree01) then the CS is crashes.

So, Make sure all trees have the same named billboard.

I think,this is your problem mate.Good luck! :goodjob:
02-10-2009, 09:22 PM,

Okay, that sounds good.

But I haven't a clue what paths to put these files into now because I think I have two different sets. At the moment, I have the .spt files in the Data-Trees folder and the .dds files in the Data-Textures-Trees folder with three sub-folders of billboards, branches and leafs.

When I click on billboards, I get the folders BM and SilgradFF.

When I click on branches, I go direct to some .dds files.

When I click on leaves, I get the BM folder and nothing else.

I tried to put these into the game but it crashed the CS. What folder paths should I be using................ ?(
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
02-10-2009, 09:32 PM,

The folder paths are perfect.

Just take a look to the billboards > BM folder.

Every tree have One billboard texture(dds).
And the dds must have the Tree name.

Example:

OakTree01.spt must have the OakTree01.dds . Same name.
02-10-2009, 09:52 PM,

Okay, I just opened Data\Trees\BMCandlenutTree01.spt after right-clicking in the tree section of the object window and selecting 'new'.

The texture for this (called BMCandlenutTree01.dds) is in the Data\Textures\trees\billboards\BM folder.

I then clicked on 'select leaf texture' and chose BMCandlenutLeaf01 from the Data\Textures\trees\leaves\BM folder.

I then put the seed number you mentioned earlier (301409) into the 'Speedtree Seed' box and clicked on 'Add'. Then 'OK'.

The item then appeared in the tree folder called BMCandlenutTree01.

I navigated to a random area of Black Marsh and dragged the model into the render window.....and it crashed the CS..... ?(
02-10-2009, 10:08 PM,

Hmm,thats interesting..Siegfried or anybody can help? ?(
02-11-2009, 07:14 PM,

Are there any others to help with this query?

I heard it was impossible to convert .spt files into .nifs and .dds

Is that true?
02-11-2009, 07:47 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
Are there any others to help with this query?

I heard it was impossible to convert .spt files into .nifs and .dds

Is that true?

The SPT Is a perfect format.

But yes its true,you can't convert from spt to nif.
02-11-2009, 09:15 PM,

actually, i think the full version of speedtree can export .obj versions of their files. spt is the best format for trees however, as all other formats lack full support (such as shadows, billboards, animations, etc.)

also, i took a look at the meshes you uploaded. they crashed my CS as well. im thinking that its some problem with the mesh itself, or with the location of its corresponding files
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
02-11-2009, 10:18 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Lady Nerevar
also, I took a look at the meshes you uploaded. they crashed my CS as well. I'm thinking that its some problem with the mesh itself, or with the location of its corresponding files

Oh bugger! The search for a solution continues. I can mod as I am. It would just be a big waste of Senten's hard work to let these files go to waste as I was hoping to use them as part of a preset cell for region generating the Black Marsh jungle....and Senten does do some really nice stuff!