Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open jobs for texturers
09-30-2007, 11:47 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
Imperial tapestry textures

I would like to request recreations of the eight Imperial tapestry textures from TES3 that show the symbols of the Divines. Please use a general fabric texture of your choice in the middle with a border around it (the whole texture should look like fabric). They shouldn't have rips or tears, and they need to fill out the whole canvas of the texture file. Please make them 256 pixels wide and 512 pixels tall.

I made the akatosh tapestry:
I also saved it in .psd format but I can't upload it.
[Image: 2copy.jpg]
"I think, therefore I am" - Descartes
"I don't think, therefore I spam"
09-30-2007, 08:20 PM,

I jumped to the conclusion that the texture attached to this post was a modified TES3 texture, based on your comment in the later post where you wondered why we didn't touch up and use the TES3 texture.

I tend to agree with the sentiments Ghogiel expressed in his post. However when it comes to textures we've been in a gray area ever since we started the Oblivion mod. In some cases we've always had to rely on modified TES3 textures just because there was no other way. Textures that fit those particular needs just don't exist anywhere else. A perfect example is banners, like the Dunmer shop banners, whose textures have to be really specific else they'd be either misleading or pointless.

Bethesda has not made any complaints about that practice. I don't know if it's because the textures are modified to an extent from their TES3 origin, or because we both are clear about wanting to replace them eventually and create so much other content. Personally I'd bet my money that the reason is (besides us being an in-house mod) that the textures just aren't from TES3. Sure the guys behind Vibrant Morrowind and Morrowind Visual Pack might not have altered them extensively, but still, they're not from TES3.

Having said that I don't believe a modified TES3 texture could ever equal a brand new texture made from scratch by a good texture artist, so that's of course the preferrably way to go when possible. But in cases where we can't have that then, given that Bethesda have seemingly given their silent ok to us using modified TES3 textures, I would certainly love to see better edited TES3 textures Big Grin So if you're willing to help us with that then I think that would be great. I would still prefer wholly new textures from you over that, but I'd prefer better edits over no change.

My comment was about the texture in this post. When I read your post I thought you had attached your cushion tim texture to that post, which I thought was rather strange since the texture looked like a tapestry.

Anyway, to sum up:
- I'll check out your cushion trim texture and see how it looks on the cushions, and if it pans out - I have no reason to believe it won't - I'll be happy to use it, thankyou so much Smile
- What is the tapestry texture attached to this post?
- The Akatosh banner looks wonderful, I'd love to use that one too :goodjob:
- Please either email the files to razorwing@silgrad.com or upload them to filefront.com or similar service and PM me the links. Thankyou so much in advance Smile
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
10-01-2007, 12:27 AM,

its illegal to use altered beth textures, even if they are altered (otherwise people would resize it, sharpen it, and go "OMG!"). the reason beth has not gotten on your back (or anyone else that might be doing this) is because they haven’t seen it. its not like beth goes around screening mods.

for me, its a personal moral issue. if you don’t care about the fact that its technically illegal and misleading to people, then sure. but i personally would go and make new textures. especially since making new textures would up the quality a whole bunchy-bunch.
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
10-01-2007, 12:44 AM,

yeah.

I hate spending time tweaking someone elses work. (unless they are TES modders Smile ) Especially those texture things. plus how can you even make a good texture from those tiny little MW ones anyway? lol, no amount of skill with genuine fractals and photoshop will make them look really good. Just make new ones innit.

Sure LadyN, I'll just go and scratch remake new HQ versions of all MW textures...ok maybe not Smile. I'm sure the plan is to eventually have all new hi rez texture assets that can see ST into even future TES games. I think thats what this thread is bout.
AM NOT A TEXTURER
10-01-2007, 01:00 AM,

well, this *is* the task you set out to do. if making morrowind requires remaking all the textures, you should be prepared to do it Confusedhrug:
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
10-01-2007, 12:20 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing

My comment was about the texture in this post. When I read your post I thought you had attached your cushion trim texture to that post, which I thought was rather strange since the texture looked like a tapestry.

Anyway, to sum up:
- I'll check out your cushion trim texture and see how it looks on the cushions, and if it pans out - I have no reason to believe it won't - I'll be happy to use it, thankyou so much Smile
- What is the tapestry texture attached to this post?
- The Akatosh banner looks wonderful, I'd love to use that one too :goodjob:
- Please either email the files to razorwing@silgrad.com or upload them to filefront.com or similar service and PM me the links. Thankyou so much in advance Smile

I'll email you the files in a minute

and that texture that looks like a tepestry is about this:
Tx_Ashl_banner_06.tga
I'd like to request a recreation of the texture "Tx_Ashl_banner_06.tga" from Morrowind. It was one of the textures Bethesda used for TES3's square cushions, which I'm recreating. A width of 512 and a height of 1024 would be great.

Here's the TES3 texture on my square cushion mesh:

I can make the trim lines straight and stuff if you like it.
10-01-2007, 02:23 PM,
My take on textures
Despite the recent promotion, I speak for myself only without the approval of Major League Baseball. Smile

I tend to agree with Ghogiel and Our Fair Lady: Beth assets are Beth assets, end of story. They may not notice or choose not to notice 'cause we're small fry, but to assume that that state of affairs will always be thus would be hazardous. Having said that, I think there's an element of "plausible deniability" when using texes from the MVP or similar sources. A lot of those texes seem to be original; others, not so much. Smile I myself have caught a couple that were just too similar. My approach with my models is pretty hard-core; if I suspect a modified Beth asset, I don't use it. I have no problem with a somewhat more relaxed approach along the lines of "don't ask, don't tell", but if a person were to come onto the board and flat-out say, "I have modified MW textures, do you want 'em?", my personal inclination would be to quietly say, "Not really. But if all the pixels are yours, in that case, sure." Smile

Just my 0.02€,
Steve
10-01-2007, 02:24 PM,

hereés the Arkay tapestry that was needed, more will come soon.
If you like it I'll e-mail it to you in psd format.

And all my Images are my own "pixels" If I may call em that if I have downloaded brushes for photoshop. And yes, I think the same about making textures. My textures are not modifies tes3 textures, I only use the old image as a reference file and use the same colors in my own version. then use photoshop filters, then brush them to make them look good.

and this is how it would look like if I had stolen the old file of the cushion trim:

Only the shapes of the things are taken and then remade by me. I feel hurt that it was said that I have stolen things.
10-02-2007, 01:12 AM,

Thanks a bunch n00biepl0x, you're doing a great job :goodjob:

I love having copies of the psd files handy. It feels very "future-safe". Some day we'll move on to modding for The Elder Scrolls V, and who knows how that game handles textures? Only thing we can know is that it's a good idea to have the source files of our work when they're prepped for the next game. However - and sorry for not mentioning it earlier - I would also very much like to have dds files, especially for the textures that use transparancy. I'm not much of a texture artist myself and without a transparancy textures I can't readily use them.

Regarding the copyright debate I would say that the kind of textures you create are faaar from being in violation. Rather the textures I think were in question were the ones from Vibrant Morrowind/Morrowind Visual Pack that sometimes only have tweaked brightness, saturation, contrast and such but are otherwise the same.

I don't see how the extensive editing work you do would be much different than me or someone else basing a new mesh on an old one. In both cases we base our work on Bethesda's old work. The only difference is the vertices are new while the pixels are overwritten, but still, the end result is a new creation.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
10-02-2007, 01:53 PM,

I'll send everything in a minute

Here's my dibella tapestry.

I sent you the items in dds format and psd format.