Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[3DS] Collision: the easy way out using gundalf's exporter
03-16-2007, 10:49 PM,
RE: 3DS Collision problems...
Quote:Originally posted by TheMadMage
erm. Ok. I've been modding for quite some time, and (thankfully, perhaps) have never really had to deal with collision meshes til now. Now I have the exporter, I have 3DS Max 9, NifSkope, all the good stuff. I've tried following your directions to create a collision model, but when I load it in NifSkope, only bhkCollisionObject is present. Nothing (and especially no mesh) is present otherwise. When I don't have them set as collision models, everything seems to export to NifSkope fine (obviously, in game, you can walk right through the castle). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hiya TheMadMage. This is a pretty old thread, and the exporter have changed a bit since gundalf laid the groundwork for it. It used to be possible to export multiple collision meshes for instance, but that's been lost over time for some reason.

You need to create two models, one being the real model and the other being the collision mesh.

It's a moot question with 3D Studio Max v9 though because the only version of the scripts that support it can't export collision properly (info). You should try to get Max v8 and the 0.2.9 scripts.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
03-16-2007, 11:12 PM,
RE: 3DS Collision problems...
Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
It used to be possible to export multiple collision meshes for instance, but that's been lost over time for some reason.

I have to break in here on that. If the mining cart thread is checked out, it can be seen that all of the rail models have two static collision meshes, so 'tis still possible.

Later,
Steve
03-17-2007, 01:00 AM,

Kk. I never got that to work Smile I tried following the desciption you posted awhile back but it didn't work for me.
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
03-17-2007, 01:11 AM,

Razorwing: If you like, I can PM you a Max file as it stands at export along with my settings. I swear to you that my arrows clang off the rails and embed into the timbers and it definitely takes two CMs for that to happen... Smile

Later,
Steve
04-16-2007, 11:58 PM,

Hi, I'm using 3dsmax 7.
I was trying out the exporter, it exports collision meshes as tristrips but oblivion hangs on load when I use them.

Is there some option which needs to be checked or do I have to go from 3dsmax 7 to 3dsmax 8?
04-17-2007, 12:00 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Deathless Aphrodite
Hi, I'm using 3dsmax 7.
I was trying out the exporter, it exports collision meshes as tristrips but oblivion hangs on load when I use them.

Is there some option which needs to be checked or do I have to go from 3dsmax 7 to 3dsmax 8?

Are you using the 0.2.9 version of the exporter?
Angel mired in filth
04-17-2007, 12:45 AM,

No, it's 0.2.10, you mean I have to downgrade for this feature to work properly?
04-17-2007, 12:56 AM,

No, it's 0.2.10, you mean I have to downgrade for this feature to work properly?

0.2.10 is bugged because collision exported with it crashes the Construction Set. You need to use 0.2.9.
Angel mired in filth
04-17-2007, 01:16 AM,

Thanks a lot! Will download 0.2.9 right away.
04-17-2007, 02:31 AM,

Thanks a lot! Will download 0.2.9 right away.

Glad I could help Smile
Angel mired in filth