Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ald Ruhn overun by Daedra?
07-01-2007, 08:33 PM,

Something I thought I'd share. Apparently, there is no way for distant buildings to be initially disabled, which I think is going to make simulating the different events for Ald'ruhn (like the Daedra invasion, rebuilding etc, and the eventually finished city .) quite difficult. Unless I'm mistaken and they can be scripted to appear in the world, but I'm against that possiblility.

When we're building Ald'ruhn, we should probably decide on a distant layout that will always be visible even when certain events have occured. It might look weird though if you can see the buildings in the distance, which don't actually exist depending where you are on the Ald'ruhn rebuilding quest, know what I mean?

This is a minor problem, but I think it should be discussed.
07-01-2007, 09:25 PM,

Well one idea is only make the wall and the old scar visible. They won't be changed. You can't see the houses and such but that's minor I would say.
"Why would I be bound by rules if I can see so far beyond them?"

"I think, therefore I am" - Descartes
"I don't think, therefore I spam"

"Do not seek to follow the footsteps of the wise, seek what they sought"

"On top of the world"
07-01-2007, 09:35 PM,

if you want it to be crushed to dust bnormal deadra cant do that but the deadra war machine can have a quest where you can recruit fighters everywhere and have a hunt to find and destroy it and defend some cittys in the process
07-01-2007, 09:42 PM,

Quote:Well one idea is only make the wall and the old scar visible. They won't be changed. You can't see the houses and such but that's minor I would say.
Yeah that's what I thought. Keep the buildings/structures that won't change, or won't change much. It's minor I agree.

Quote:if you want it to be crushed to dust bnormal deadra cant do that but the deadra war machine can have a quest where you can recruit fighters everywhere and have a hunt to find and destroy it and defend some cittys in the process
Nah, it'll be a simple battle, I imagine. It may actually be ended before you get there, but there will be signs of the invasion.
07-09-2007, 02:50 AM,

Alright, I was laying out claims for Ald'Ruhn here when Dave reminded me that there was a daedric scrap in this city. I've got some overview pics of the city here.... so which buildings precisely should not set up? Or better yet, which ones are damaged/abandoned/in disrepair?
07-09-2007, 03:58 AM,

I think I remember a layout plan I saw somewhere. I'm sure. I'd PM or wait for KuKulzA on this one, I know that there'll be a lot of focus on defense and refuge. Skar will need a new model, and it'll need to appear to have moved a bit.

I'm not sure which ones would be demolished though.
12-31-2007, 04:49 AM,

Right, so we've got 1 Redoran town done (Maar Gan), I think we should start to make a plan of what's going to be where and who'll be doing what here. We've lots of Redoran meshes to play with, but we're looking for demolished buildings. We'll be needing new meshes for this, I don't think retextures would be enough. Defensive buildings, like barracks and towers would have been attacked considerably, so perhaps a mesh tweak or two of those for a kickoff. We'll also be adding Daedric gates and lots of dead Daedra + soldiers/civilians which will be lying around all over town, perhaps some buildings still burning from the attack.

Maybe we could get inspiration from Oblivion's Kvatch since it's a similar scenario.

The ruined buildings (I feel), should be like Kvatch, where you can get inside the buildings, but they're more like shells rather than actual interiors, so you'll be able to see inside without going through load-doors. Obviously, the decoration inside the burned out/destroyed buildings should be, well, as if they'd been attacked and destroyed, but not too much decor as these buildings won't be actual interior cells.

We can leave the 'Skar' shell till last, as that will require a brand new model. We could use a temporary building until the model gets made, so we know where it'll be.

Cire992's screenshot can be used for reference here. There'll be several new defensive buildings around the town though, so keep that in mind. These include: A weapon smith, barracks building, fort and a few towers. (The towers aren't like those with interiors, as seen in Morrowind + ST, but interior-less towers with a ladder that leads straight to the lookout point. These would require new meshes, which are a very similar shape to the Morrowind/ST models.)

The Plan

I think we'll start by placing the buildings exactly like the TES3 layout, then add the def. buildings + other architecture (without skar though). Here's a breakdown (assuming we're working from what we have at present):

1. Place buildings based around Morrowind layout
2. Place/rearrange buildings and add our own
3. Add Daedric gates + details
4. Finalize layout (including landscaping/texturing/shading)

And so on until we're done...

Only the exterior will be modded. Interiors will be done afterwards.
12-31-2007, 03:23 PM,

So we mostly just need meshes, then. I'll compile a list of npcs from Ald'Ruhn today and you and IS can axe out some "casualties of war". What's the word on Fort Buckmoth?
12-31-2007, 04:12 PM,

I just wanted to add the idea I used while writing the Mages Guild plotoutline: Ald'Ruhn was attacked, but the attack was halted (the Gate was destroyed, so no more Daedric reinforcements) just before the Daedra could destroy the whole town. A big portion of the town was destroyed though, under which the Mages Guild Compound.

EDIT: This idea can be adjusted by saying 'not the whole town was slaugthered because the gate was destroyed just in time.' (Meaning all the buildings were destroyed/damaged but many lives were saved because the gate was destroyed)
Quote of the Day
There's real poetry in the real world. Science is the poetry of reality. Richard Dawkins, The Enemies of Reason

Factions:
Silgrad Tower Mages Guild
Skyrim Thieves Guild
Vvardenfell Mages Guild
12-31-2007, 04:22 PM,

I'm not sure what's happening with Fort Buckmoth.. would the Daedra have attacked the fort? Would the Imperials help in the battle, or would they defend their own (the fort)?

A quote from KuKulzA, earlier in the thread:

'umm... I think we will have our Fort Buckmoth demolished, and Ald-ruhn damaged but already in repairs
the Redoran are hardy people... if it were Hlaalu or Dres or even Indoril, sure I think they'd fall, but the Redoran are some of the best warriors in Morrowind, and the Telvanni some of the best mages, and as both are protecting their lands and the telvanni closing Oblviion gates.... I think they earn the respect of the common-folk and each other all over Morrowind... even if not the higher-ups who probably don't fully appreciate how well the Daedra are being thwarted.'

Cuthalion- Cheers for pointing that out. :goodjob: So let's say that the section of the city where the guildhalls and the Rat in the Pot is located, is the part which has been hit most. Then a few houses nearby, and some of the defensive buildings (the Daedra attacking their way through the town). Skar shell won't be in its exact location like in TES3, as you'll probably know, so we'll have to work out where that'll be and what it will look like.