Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dwemer Progress Thread
07-15-2006, 04:57 AM,
Dwemer Progress Thread
Welcome all, This thread will be dedicated to the 3D and 2D Developement of all aspects that relate to the Dwemer. It will be a progress thread made to show the progress we have done on all needed aspects and even after were done with everything, further develope more unique objects that best fit the Tamriel Universe and Story! Please, Everyone working on this project wants to make the Vvardenfell province Look as authentic and Unique and as close to the original story as possible, So please be harsh and detail specific when it comes to C&C (comment and Critisize) our work!

Now on to our Progress (Log)

-(June/?/2006) Finished modelling some barrels and gears took 30 minutes

-(Jul/14/2006) Well, finally sat down for two hours and started working on some of the Concepts for the Dwemer Worked on three towers, Please judge harshly! Look for the smallest detail. (image attached)(Concept:http://gallery.silgrad.com/albums/userpics/DwemerRuinsTowersCF.jpg)

To do (Unfinished)

-will update properly

Finished (Modelled, Textured, Normal mapped, Etc..)

-None Yet

Any comments on how to better organize this or make the Thread more productive, please speak. Remember all C&C are welcome and be harsh!
Semper Fidelis..... - Always Faithful (Marine Corp Motto)
07-15-2006, 05:15 AM,
RE: Dwemer Progress Thread
Put little decorations on tips of the towers... Like they were in Morrowind, other than that, it looks pretty good...
07-15-2006, 05:49 AM,

Yea hopefully when I Normal map it and Texture map it, it will have the Dwemer feeling to it. All little details will be seen on the finished product. Im still not done modllling them yet, soo im on to stage II finishing modelling and Refineing.
07-15-2006, 04:33 PM,

dont make em round. not only does it save polys, but it keps with the angular look of the dwemer.
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
07-15-2006, 04:55 PM,

The shape is quite a bit wrong. Look more closely:
[Image: DwemerRuinsTowersCF.jpg]

And some screenshots from TES3:
http://tes.ag.ru/mw/artwork/locations/lo..._ruins.jpg
http://www.kehlet.cx/images/morrowind/Sc...t%2013.jpg
07-15-2006, 05:13 PM,

Hey Axen, I understand that its not perfect, yet, it was just a progress shot, Im not with them, Soo there are plenty of things thatr need fixing.

Lady Nerevar, I actually limited myself to the limit set by razorwing. The normal map will add all the Detail needed and it will look like. I should have completely perfected it and then posted it, I was in a hurry because im going to Egypt today and wanted to preview something before I leave.

Lady Nerevar, By angular do you mean imperfect? I understand ruins wont look like how they were first built and will be a bit damaged. So b angular do you mean make them look damaged?
07-15-2006, 09:08 PM,

I don't think it looks bad, but I can't really form an opinion until I get to see it textured - because that part can make or break a model, especially when factoring in normal/parallax maps into it.

I would have said that I thought they could need a lot more details before they were finished, but that ties into the texture-part of the equation as well. With a great normal/parallax map you can make a flat surface looks like it has cobblestones on it that perfectly reflects light and can't be distinguished from threedimensional detail, assuming the player won't be interacting with it much. So, I do think they need quite a bit more detail, but generally speaking textures can bring a lot of that detail so it's not a given that it's something that has to be changed in the mesh. But some of the details would, naturally.

Other than that I could suggest details that allure to the bizarre blend of fantasy and industrial theme that make up the Dwemer style. Random pipes coming out at some places wouldn't look out of place, for instance, nor would suitable telescopes. Weird design elements like on the third tower in the concept art is perfect for the culture, I think.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
07-15-2006, 10:57 PM,

I think what Lady N means by angular is that the towers weren't perfectly round. Look especially at the screenshots Axen posted. If you look at the tops of the pointed towers, they appear to be hexagonal or octagonal in shape, rather than completely round.

Compare this quick and dirty example. The one on the right is modelled after the Morrowind version with the octagon shape, which is more efficient when it comes to polycount. If you just HAD to have it round, you could bump it up to a 16 or 18 sided polygon and weld the vertices to get the appearance of roundness while still being relatively low in the polys. Personally, I think the angular version looks better, but that's just my opinion.

[Image: dwemercomparison.jpg]

-Jon
07-15-2006, 11:49 PM,

I personally think the hexagonal shape is due to the lower poly count limit back in the day. Still, he could make different variants.
07-16-2006, 12:04 AM,

It's good man, I really like the bell-shaped one. If you added the ringed bits in the sketch in Axens post it would look great.

Regarding the middle one, IMO you need to excentuate the 'pinched' parts of the tower... I'm not very good at explaining things so I whipped up a quick example pic.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/nick.de...pg&.src=ph

Basically, vary the shape to stop it looking like a grain hopper. Smile