Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forget GameBryo Guys... Skyrim is using a new engine
12-12-2010, 08:04 PM,
Forget GameBryo Guys... Skyrim is using a new engine
Skyrim is using a new engine

Let's hope it's good for modding...
Im kinda happy that finally it will hopefully be a stable engine... but... Big Grin
Everything the modding community have done on OB will not transfer over... ;(
12-12-2010, 08:12 PM,

When I followed that link, I just got massively confused and couldn't work out what was what. ?(

If this is true, it explains this

This is quite annoying as well, since it means that re-starting the projects in TESV will take a lot longer than it would, had it retained the same engine as we'll have to re-make all the assets.

Hmmm ... shame. Sad
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again.

[Image: mini-Skyrim2.jpg]
12-12-2010, 08:14 PM,

Yes, it will take far longer. Very bad for the modding community.

I linked to a Bethblog tweet.
12-12-2010, 08:17 PM,

Indeed. Let's just hope this new engine is as usable for modding as the gamebryo one. It may become the case that we'll hardly be able to do any modding for TESV.

In any case, the gameplay better be damn good!

12-12-2010, 08:20 PM,

Yes,
Im pretty sure Bethesda would have a very moddable engine in their hands. They would lose alot of the community if they did not.

Another thing we have to take into account is that the CS and scripting language would have changed. Everyone has to relearn that again.
12-12-2010, 08:25 PM,

Jeez ... when it gets released we've got a guaranteed month or so of no development just to learn how to use the tools.

12-12-2010, 08:26 PM,

Yeah, that will really suck for the modding community. X(
12-12-2010, 11:55 PM,

I'm mostly worried about modeling. It took a long time to figure out .nif, and there is still a lot we don't know. Unless bethesda releases info/exporters themselves (which they might, since its their engine), we're back at square 1. The CS will probably be fine, I don't see why they would change it up more than they did between MW and OB.
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
12-13-2010, 12:04 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Lady Nerevar
I'm mostly worried about modeling. It took a long time to figure out .nif, and there is still a lot we don't know. Unless bethesda releases info/exporters themselves (which they might, since its their engine), we're back at square 1. The CS will probably be fine, I don't see why they would change it up more than they did between MW and OB.

Unless the model format for the new engine is already well established, in which case we'd probably be fine. And I think the CS might be quite differnt, given the fact Morrowind and Oblvion do share the same engine (though vastly differnt in performance, etc, they do share a similar base), so it's quite possible we'll be dealing with a new beast when it comes to the CS.
12-13-2010, 12:07 AM,

The CS doesn't really handle much of anything engine wise, afaik. Each engine has a proprietary graphics format though, so unless its something public like .obj its almost certainly something new. I don't think they can legally keep .nif, can they?
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era