Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did you find out about Silgrad Tower?
09-09-2006, 10:56 AM,

I had always kept away from mods as i kept my PCs off the net - but then I became interested in the X Universe by Egosoft - my experiences with their forum where I had some major ideas taken up in-game (but received only hostility and no credit from the people I had shown them to) convinced me that I had been right to be wary of web-contacts - even open ones.

But I had also discovered Daggerfall, and Battlespire = sucked in again. I joined the ES Forums, and posted a couple of thoughts, then left again. When I rejoined a couple of yrs later I was not surprised to discover that many of the members at that time were hostile to newcomers generally. So I buckled down, gave as good as I got, and laughed my head off when I saw that the old guard bugged out once the Morrowind expansions arrived - because newcomers were immediately as Lore-wise as they were on the new stuff presumably!

The Oblivion crowd was different - ESF moved from well informed flaing to ignorant flaming, but there were still a substantial number of thinking people there until the operating changes kicked in and began interfering with people's freedom to post as they wished. Then the numbers thinned out.

I had signed up with the news-service of our hosts as admin, but felt a bit uncomfortable and restricted by the access and operating manners, and then, just before things began to get really desperate on ESF I read an invite from Razorwingy (aka 'Gloomwing' the positive Tongue ) and I felt that the spirit of the invitation more closely matched my own feelings of how things should be - and for the most part my feelings proved correct.

However I am very unhappy about time limitations on editing one's own posts - this effectively steals control of members' information and work. It has to stop. Everyone has a right to withdraw their labour and to retain control of their own copyrights.

This is not a commercial website, and whatever the pretext, you are forcing members to leave their material with you and you publish it whether they like it or not.
Because loyalty is not to be spoken of and honour is to be endured. Whilst courage is to be survived. These virtues belong to silence.
Steven Erikson.

But, if one man does nothing can he be said to be good? raggidman
09-09-2006, 12:33 PM,

@Raggidman@the editing part: It also makes people who wish to stay think twice when flaming...
Quote of the Day
There's real poetry in the real world. Science is the poetry of reality. Richard Dawkins, The Enemies of Reason

Factions:
Silgrad Tower Mages Guild
Skyrim Thieves Guild
Vvardenfell Mages Guild
09-09-2006, 12:39 PM,

I saw Silgrad Tower when I was considering modding TES3... but then I saw tat TES4 was coming out, I bided my time... however I wangted to mod the Velothi mts. at first and I had a few moments of misunderstanding and disrepect with Razorwing and Quentin Fortune, but eventually I settled and become a good memeber of this community and I decided to make Vvardenfell... and somehow the trend came about... Vvardenfell.... Skyrim... Black Marsh (originally called Beyond Cyrodiil but Swedishfish let us use the name for our group) and Valenwood and Elsweyr and then briefly Summerset, and Aldmeris....and Akavir I invited a long time ago but they have recently come over to us... and now possibly High Rock...
09-09-2006, 03:43 PM,

hm, i dont realy rember. im quite sure i came upon it from a link on the TR forums... or during reserch about the history of TR....

Quote:I tried to start an Orsinuim mod but they told me the idea was stupid so I lost intrest in TR

actualy, we told you that we as tr wouldnt make your mod because we were making our own province.
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
09-09-2006, 04:00 PM,

a little defense eh?

well I found out about this after going to TR first, making a username on their forums and then realizing how complicated TR made things. I found Silgrad a few days later, and saw how efficiantly laid back it was. People just seemed friendlier, without reqiuireing resumes to work. You could put as much or as little in to the mod as your RL life allowed. SO far i've only made on int here, and participated ina few discussions, because I've had little free time to work on this stuff, but I love being involved as much as I can and watching it unfold. With TR, my limited freetime would have only allowed to to probably finish that "showcase" thing, and I would not have been able to participate as much as I would have liked to
09-09-2006, 04:17 PM,

Well, I usually browsed around The ESF and other forums, looking for morrowind conversions, but could find none. Then, I was looking around TESSource for new lands, because waaaay back in the day of Morrowind, (side-story coming) I first got it and realized there was an editing program, the construction set. I never understood it all, so I went for about a half a year without playing it. I was looking on The Elder Scrolls Main website and discovered the forums, and then realized the existance of mods. I started using a few of them, and I enjoyed playing with them, but sometimes I could never find the perfect mod for myself that I truly, truly liked. I downloaded an old mod called azura's castle, and it was very incomplete. At this time, I decided to try modding for myself. I enjoyed it, and greatly liked it, so I turned it into a massive scale, fully populated city situated on an island, which included a foreign district, a palace district, a residential district, a market district, a port district, and a temple district. The residents were white khajiits, and I mean UBER white khajiits. I gave them incredible powers, and I mean kill everyone in balmora in one hit kind of powers. After awhile, I realized I was using too many coustom made objects for it to be released, so it never was, which was my dream of finally sharing my own piece of the modding world, my pride and joy. When oblivion came, I kept the mod, but I couldn't use it with the oblivion CS, so I had to do one of the hardest things ever and throw out the mod (which was still incomplete). Trying to get over it, I went into the oblivion world of modding (freshly started, there wasn't much there, oh, and this is where the main story comes back) So, I decided to rebuild it, bigger and better, for the oblivion world. And this one, I was planning to share. So firstly, I went on to all of the forums (except planet, I don't understand that one) in search of people bringing back objects from Morrowind. I found a thread on ESF about people planning to make a conversion programs, I thought it was cool but didn't pay it much mind because I knew the Dev's would soon close it and no more would be said. So then, I decided to use oblivion things for now and worry about morrowind things later and go on to TESSource in search of new lands to build a castle foundation upon and work all the way up again. Then, I noticed Reich Parkeep Alpha 0.3 there, and I noticed the amount of morrowind flora, so I admit, I was going to use Reich Parkeep for my own selfish needs. Well anyways, there was an issue with the download on TESSource, so I used the link to the main website, and I downloaded the later version, because of course there were more versions out, and lo and behold, I think I fainted at the sight of Redoran homes, and that's when I joined up. Sorry my life's story is so long.
Lol what?
09-09-2006, 04:58 PM,

I think I found my way here after thinking, "Hey! I should join TR as a texture artist!" I went to their page and noticed that they hadn't updated their page in like, 6 months or something. I, being the selfish and quick-judging jerk that I am, left the project for dead and began looking elsewhere. I think I just did a Google search for "huge oblivion mod" and came up with this one.

Much to my surprise, this place seemed far more active than TR. It also seemed a bit more friendly, though I can't really say much in that way, having only posted once on the TR forums over two years ago. I liked the layout here better, and joining up with the team didn't involve jumping through flaming hoops to seperate the wheat from the inevidably singed chaff. Everything was just running much more smoothly and far less bearucraticly, which I decided was awesome. I posted that I could do Dwemer and other dirt-based textures, and Caligula invited me over to the Redoran thread. My skin has slowly been turningn blue ever since. Big Grin
.:.::..::: Zarf - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbU_YqGZF5Y"]WARNING: Do not fall down mountains[/url] :::..::.:.
09-09-2006, 05:35 PM,

Well, I was at TR for about a year. Then I started noticing that just about everyone hated me. I could tell by the way I was normally ignored, and when I was talked to, it was always awkward and blunt.

I don't really know how I found Silgrad, but I like the people better here.

And the claiming system isn't a pain. Definately a lot more freedom.
"It's only wrong if you suck at it."
09-09-2006, 06:04 PM,

Quote:I think I just did a Google search for "huge oblivion mod"

:lmao: :applause: hahaha! ...ha.
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
09-09-2006, 08:39 PM,

I was just in a download mood and downloaded about 50 mods when I came across silgrad tower, read the notes about it and decided to download it

I didn't install it until about 3 months later, played had alittle trouble, and came here to find answers..... and Im staying ! :yes:

Big Grin
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories