Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
_LPS Concept Art
12-11-2008, 06:16 PM,

btw, nice to see you still hanging around, Senten. You are very much welcome, even if inactive.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
12-11-2008, 06:36 PM,

Thanks Ibsen.

I can visit the site's,but i don't have time for modding..Maybe later.
12-12-2008, 09:43 AM,

Yeah it's good to see you sitll hanging around here senten. I like the concept Ideaos. They shouldn't be to hard to model.
Member of -
TES IV: Black Marsh (Core Member)
12-12-2008, 11:07 AM,

If you don't mind a bit of critique on the concepts:

1. The line drwaings are nice, but they could do with having a bit of colour splashed on them. Doesn't have to be anything magnificent, just a quick wash of colour in Photoshop/GIMP to give us more of a feel of the design.

2. Get us some orthographic drawings of that creature in the first post! Front and one side view would be good, plus other views (e.g. back, top, bottom) if these areas of the creature have detail that is not seen in any other view. If you do this and get all of the views in proportion with each other someone should be able to take the drawings and model the creature fairly easily.

Overall I like the concepts, but I think my suggestions could make them even more useful for whoever has to model/texture/animate them.
12-12-2008, 02:34 PM,

I will do the creature tomorrow, today I thought about dres acrhitecture, I though about basing it off velothi and changing it like this:
[Image: dresarchfb6.jpg]

I made the entrance completed, it looked good at the start, but failed at the end, anyway here it is:
[Image: dresentrzd6.jpg]
The coloring went wrong, but that's my PS skills, I'm getting better.
12-12-2008, 06:51 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by LPS_
I made the entrance completed, it looked good at the start, but failed at the end, anyway here it is:
[Image: dresentrzd6.jpg]
The coloring went wrong, but that's my PS skills, I'm getting better.
I quite like how it's come out. I do have a few suggestions/tips:

1. Put the layer with your pencil sketches on top of the stack and set it to multiply. You can then paint underneath it while retaining the outline and shading. This works better the cleaner your image is, so using the levels command to make everything closer to black white with fewer grays (particularly if you don't have any shading) is a good idea.

2. A bit of shading round the base of objects stops them from looking lik they're floating in space. Adding in a rough human is a good reference for size.

3. Do you use a tablet? If so, it's worth trying out different pressure settings. I find having pen pressure set to size is good for laying down blocks of colour quickly.

Apologies if you already know this stuff. I hope some of it is useful. Smile
12-12-2008, 08:05 PM,

I made a new one, I read your post right after I finished it, I don't think we need a human, say the entrance is about as high as a normal door(it's lower than a normal velothi) This time I painted the edges for hand, and did coloring and shading completely with PS:
[Image: dresentpsfz3.jpg]
12-12-2008, 08:13 PM,

Can you make a bigger picture?Its too small.
12-12-2008, 09:19 PM,

Will have to make a new one, it's too small.

Update:

[Image: dresfinconpg4.jpg]
This is my FINAL concept for dres style entrances, I didn't add a texture design, if this is used, the texturers decide the style, below the pictures there are ideas for symbols on dres architecture.

[Image: dresarchfb6.jpg]
Will works as a "converter" for future pictures, starting with velothi, to final dres(just without the 4. part.
12-13-2008, 06:42 PM,

Might I suggest being a bit more bold with your shading. Here's a link to a tutorial I wrote a while back on using the quick mask mode - I find it extremely useful for doing quick shading.

Alternatively, using a manga style cel shading might work well. I find it easy to communicate an idea if I limit myself to 3 shades of each colour used (light, medium and dark), it's also pretty easy to render an image quickly like this.