Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
_LPS Concept Art
01-14-2009, 03:48 PM,

I think we should organize this, right now i'm just drawing halfly random stuff, and posting it here, post requests instead.

Update: Added gallery on front page.
01-14-2009, 05:41 PM,

Please do some more Argonian root buildings, I really like what you've done thus far (for example, what do the interiors look like? do they have doors? just to get you started)

A concept for Rootworm tunnels would be great too. These are the main form of public transport apart from boats, in Black Marsh. They are giant pink, translucent worms which swallow people and carry them in their stomachs as they migrate to their feeding grounds. To get off, you just burst out of the worm. This would be very hard to do directly in the game, my idea was to have various points around Black Marsh where you could enter the Rootworm tunnels, with animations for the creature swallowing the player and bursting out at the destination.
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
01-14-2009, 07:25 PM,

:lmao: Hard to do though, I'd imagine. But the actual tunnel would be great...just a slimy, oozing pustule of a place. If you ask me, I would model the entrance on an anus and go from there... =)

As regards other stuff, if you'd like to handle furniture fashioned from roots, vines, flora and other organic material then that would be perfect. Likewise various 'ethnic' knick-knacks. I recently requested shrunken heads and tribal symbols that could be used as a variation of the arcane Mages Guild symbol. Having something like that would be a multi-purpose item because they can be applied to furniture and pasted onto walls.

Edit - btw, how are you at landscapes? Sachiel is our 'rock-guy' and makes some awesome rocks but he requested a piece of concept art for the exterior of the Tenmar Wall settlement the last time he posted and no one took up the challenge so far.

Basically, Tenmar Wall is a clifftop settlement that borders the Blackwood and Naga-Cradle Jungle regions. It is called such on account of the large wall-like cliff that separates the two regions and forms a natural boundary between the swamp/marshland of the lower regions and the highest points of the Black Marshes.

I was planning on using a combination of mr_siika's rocks and the Unique Landscape rocks but Sachiel wanted to get really ambitious. Basically, it would be a very natural-looking wall with some slopes, crevices, ledges and, particularly, natural bridges (but don't go overboard!) that lead to a cave entrance perhaps midway down the 'wall'. An adjoining route might permit access to the clifftop settlement just above it. But the cave would need to be fairly well set into the wall and the entrance camouflaged and guarded.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
01-14-2009, 09:46 PM,

I tried to draw the wall, but I'm not good at landscapes, and it turned out looking really bad, so I erased it, and it's out of existence, I'm not good at drawing scenes overall, they always look stupid at the end, I will practice, and maybe I'll manage something some time(Like that strange fly was my first successful attempt at a furry animal that didn't look like a doodle)
Starting on more root stuff and tribal symbols tomorrow, I would need more ideas for the rootworm tunnels, and thing a bit how it would look.
01-15-2009, 06:34 AM,

Practice LPS_!

Noob to Pro. :goodjob:
01-15-2009, 01:04 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by LPS_
I tried to draw the wall, but I'm not good at landscapes, and it turned out looking really bad, so I erased it, and it's out of existence, I'm not good at drawing scenes overall, they always look stupid at the end, I will practice, and maybe I'll manage something some time(Like that strange fly was my first successful attempt at a furry animal that didn't look like a doodle)
I know the feeling of not being able to draw scenes very well. It probably doesn't help that I haven't drawn for ages and therefore my drawing skills have atrophied. A couple of suggestionsI might offer with regards to drawing scenes:

1. Make sure you have knowledge of perspective. 1 point perspective the easiest to do, but is limited (IMO). 2 point perspective is probably what you'd want to focus on for general landscapes and such. 3 point perspective is really good for very extreme angles - think comics where the hero and villain are fighting on the streets with buildings towering above them.

2. As boring as it can be, still life drawing may help develop your ability to draw scenes. At the very least it will reinforce our knowledge of form and light.

3. Personally, I think the best way to improve your drawing skills is life drawing (called figure drawing in some places).

If you already know this stuff, fair enough. If not, hopefully it will be of some use.

The fly looks really good, the only suggestion I might make is that the translucent parts of the wings could probably do with some really sharp highlights to make them appear shiny (similar to a dragonfly's wings).
01-15-2009, 02:26 PM,

My problem with scene drawing aren't perspective or light/shade, but landscape shapes and the relation of different things on the picture, mostly look like they are made seperately and pasted on a background.
01-15-2009, 07:42 PM,

No problem with the landscaping issue...I made lots of suggestions because I know that, as any type of contributor, you sometimes need to play to your strengths. Having plenty of options gives you that freedom. If I get my rocks textured then I could manage as I am. I think Sachiel just wants to really stretch himself on this, you see.

Root stuff and tribal symbols are good choices though and very likely to be used if we can get a modeller working on them....the symbols shouldn't be too hard to get into the game, especially.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
01-28-2009, 03:14 PM,

hello, I'm still alive :check: But have done nothing, hoping to do something tomorrow.
01-28-2009, 03:30 PM,

=)Thanks for the heads-up, LPS_!

Just FYI, Koniption sounds like she's looking for another project and we've discussed simple stuff like furniture and clutter. We already have some bits and pieces like a bamboo bed and so on (from Koniption) but we could really use some concept art on 'root furniture' as mentioned here: Furnitures & Clutters .

Naturally, we work with the idea in mind of giving our team as much freedom to work on what they wish as possible so there's no pressure. But it would nonetheless be very useful if we could get this in place because it would give interior modders a little more to work with and that's an area that I think is needing work right now.