Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Imperial Union
02-15-2006, 02:23 PM,

Vrenir's official thoughts on the naming of Imperial guilds for Vvardenfell, in descending order of preference for each faction.

LEGION/FIGHTERS? GUILD
Imperial Guard
In the sense that their purpose is to protect and serve the Imperial citizens living
in Vvardenfell. (?guard? as in ?National Guard,? not simply defensive)

Imperial Order
In the sense that this group ensures law and order among the Imperial citizens of
Vvardenfell. (May get too confusing with Ordinator sub-groups, Order of?)

Imperial Legion
Calls attention to the fact that the Legion has basically just enlisted the aid of the
Fighters? Guild and absorbed them into their ranks. (This would probably not be
looked upon fondly by Fighters? Guild members.)

MAGES? GUILD
Vvardenfell Mages
Builds off of the idea that in order to survive, the Mages? Guild must publicly
identify themselves not with the Empire but with the average, non-Telvani citizen
of Vvardenfell. (inspiration from the online fiction, Arvil Bren?s Morrowind
Journal) With this name and ideology, they would probably have fewer ties with
the other Imperial factions and possibly be easier to join, since they are supposed
to be local-friendly.

Imperial Mages
Keeps the strong ties with the Imperial remnant, probably resulting in a closer-knit and less-powerful faction headquartered in Ebonheart. Would work, but I really think that the helpful-and-more-inclusive-than-the-Telvani approach would have been a smarter move for the guild.

THIEVES? GUILD
The Imperial Merchants? Association
Builds off of the idea that the Thieves want to present a polished and legal
persona (they meet in official clubs, the head man is called ?Gentleman Jim,?
etc.). The ?Imperial? part of their name singles them out as an alliance of non-
native businesses and simultaneously connects them to the remnants of the
Legion/Fighters? Guild from whom they can, as Imperial citizens, demand
protection. (In other words, they?re telling the Legion that they deserve their help
and the Dunmer that they have external support and shouldn?t be messed with.)
Basically, the name is all about shaping image for the benefit of the members.
Whatever their name is, I would think that this faction would be the hardest to
join, because they really need to watch their back and not let ?just anyone? into
their ranks.

With this arrangement and set of identities, I envision the faction layout being still centered in Ebonheart, the heart of the Imperial remnant. The Legion/FG would largely operate in the local area, with a few small outposts in the Hlallu territory and Seyda Neen (if the Excise faction is still Imperial in nature). The MG, though having a large office in Ebonheart, should have additional bases in locations where the Imperials otherwise would not be looked upon with favor such as Ald?ruhn, probably none in Telvani territory though. The TG, finally, would have bases spread around as always, mostly in Hlallu lands, with maybe a small official office in Ebonheart to keep up the appearance of being legit. Obviously Ebonheart itself is already a sizable fortress, but in order to function as the safe-house for the Imperial remnant, I was thinking that perhaps we could expand the fort onto the small island already connected via bridge. The new settlement could be mostly a village with possibly one of the guild houses and a couple of shops, while the main fortress would serve as the barracks, the Cult Shrine, and the Headquarters of government and commercial powers such as the East Empire Company and the Census and Excise (office for this one as their main headquarters should stay in Seyda Neen).
02-15-2006, 07:09 PM,

Ok, I'm all for the Imperial Guard, I think that sounds the best out of the ones we've come up with so far. Like Vrenir said, they are still part of the Empire, just the remant troops left behind from the withdraw, and to make up for their lack of resources and personal, they've absorbed the Fighters Guild into their ranks. Maybe we can add in some dialogue to the Guild members in Cyrodiil, talking about how they dissaprove of such a merger, but perhaps some understand why it had to be done (just some sutble hints at what are feelings are about the subject Wink ).

I'm thinking that we can include some of the smaller Imperial organizations on Vvardenfell into them as well (East Empire Trading Company, Imperial Cult and the Census and Excise Office). Then they could become just like we had originally talked about with the three guilds, as sub-groups inside this one all encompassing faction. We could have quests for the head members of each sub-faction in the area's that their HQ would be located in (C&E in Seyda Neen, Imperial Cult & EETC in Ebonheart with the Imperial Guard leaders). That way we could cut out even more factions we would have to create. Confusedhrug:

The other two, I still don't think either of them fit for what we want them to be.

I like the idea of the Mages Guild being apart from the Empire and Telvanni, and since the Guild was originally created (I think) to be a school for learning magic, perhaps it could become the Vvardenfell School of Magic or Guild of Mages (or any combination of them)?

I still can't think of anything for the Thieves Guild. :confused: Yes they do want to polish their appearance and I really do think they needs some sort of protection from the Commora Tong, or else they will be killed off from Vvardenfell. Maybe they can become a sort of Trading Guild of merchants, and have an office in Ebonheart? They could deal in just about every form of merchadise available, but at their heart, they are just a bunch of thieves. Plus, the Trading Guild is the way they launder their goods, even to the Legion! Of course, they would have strict policies in polace for joining, because they can't just let anyone in to see the inner workings of thier businesses. Big Grin

Here's kind of an outline of the above and some of Vrenir's idea's:

Imperial Guard:
  • Made up of all the Imperial remnants on Vvardenfell (Legion, Cult, C&E, EETC) after the Empires witdrawl, with the absorbed Fighters Guild.
  • HQ in Ebonheart (C&E HQ in Seyda Neen) and stations in the major Hlaalu cities, strongest presence in the Ebonheart/Vivec region.
  • Mostly there to protect Imperial citizns and uphold Imperial law and rule wherever they can.
  • Will recruit any help that they can find.
Vvardenfell School of Magic: (or Vvardenfell Guild of Mages)
  • A new guild seperate from the Empire, promoting their goal to help the comman man and woman of any race!
  • HQ in Ald'Ruhn ( Confusedhrug: ) with guild houses in all other major, non-telvanni cities.
  • Will recruit any and all.
Trading Guild: (maybe a better name)
  • The re-organized Thieves Guild on Vvardenfell.
  • Fairly small guild that deals in trading merchadize and governing merchants in cities under the eyes of the Imperial Guard.
  • At the heart of thier faction, they are still the Thieves Guild, but needed Imperial protection to survive from the Commora Tong.
  • Requirments to join are steep and hard. Not just anyone can become a member. You will have to prove that you are someone they could use.
The Encyclopaedia Oblivionicus Online All the information for TES IV, at your fingertips
-
TES IV: Vvardenfell Bringing Morrowind back to you
02-15-2006, 09:07 PM,

Imperial Guard is the best we got so far...
I'd say Imperial Mages sounds better... to me at least....

Traders Guild is a bad idea... they aren't traders, they are thieves...
we need a word that says:
honorable-peaceful-blackmarket-thieves-steal-from-rich-and-give-to-poor
02-15-2006, 09:13 PM,

I believe I heard in an official thread thing that in TESIV, you are offered positions in factions after you prove yourself rather than just up and asking about membership to get in. (i.e. - you commit a misdemeanor and after your sentence, the Thieves approach you; you commit a murder and the Dark Brotherhood witll approach you.) If this is the case, then making membership contingent upon previous membership in Cyrodill should be possible (not sure about rank though). I think that the Mages wouldn't be too big on this, but it could be a good way of making the Thieves and maybe the Guard hve higher requirments, the whole "This guy is good and can help us" thing.

I think that the Mages would be better off having Balmora as their headquarters. Even though they're more indiginous than the other Imperial guilds, I'd think they'll have an easier time in Hlallu territory than in Redoran.

Also, with the quests already roughly outlined for the C&E, perhaps it would be best to keep them a seperate joinable. The Cult and EEC though should definitely be Guard-helping Imperials quests though.

As far as the Thieves go, I think that the Traders' Guild is too similar a name to the new faction in Silgrad for us to use. I also am fond of the long, professional, and slightly pretensious names for them. If nobody else is, oh well; I tried. I think that they definitely trade with the Imperials and I really don't think that the Guard cares that much, provided that the Thieves make it a policy not to engage in illegal activities in Imperial settlements such as Ebonheart, which I'd think is mostly doable. They get protection as long as they have the drug deals and weapons smuggling away from their office and don't steal from Imperial citizens. I think it's a good deal for them. Of course, the Imperial establishment should get something out of it as well, and I think that would be intelligence from inacessible areas as well as hard-to-get items which may not technically be completely above board, but who's asking?
02-15-2006, 09:26 PM,

Ok, so I think the census is to call the new faction the Imperial Guard, and it will encompass the Imperial Legion, Cult, EETC and the Fighters Guild on Vvardenfell. :goodjob:

By having the name the Imperial Mages, that would mean they are connected to the Empire and not really there for the comman citizen. I still like the idea of them being more of a school or institute.

Sorry, I didn't realize that Silgrad had a Traders Guild in place already. So we have an outline on what the Thieves Guild should do in Vvardenfell, just not what they will be called? They will be connected to the Guard for protection and information gathering, while still working in "Robin-hood" type theft in non-Imperial controlled area of the island.
The Encyclopaedia Oblivionicus Online All the information for TES IV, at your fingertips
-
02-15-2006, 09:27 PM,

I think the Imperials can't allow this corruption....
Duke Vedam Dren would lose credibility with the Houses
the Imperials have to seem like the strong and just authority... not just the manipulative one...
they need to come off as powerful but credible and concerned for the Dunmer, not their riches
02-15-2006, 09:32 PM,

I think that the Imperials would definitely want to avoid culpability for the Thieves' activities, but at the same time, I think that they would be willing to look the other way. Basically, if a Thief gets caught, the Guard won't protest their sentence by the local authorities, but if a thief pawns off a nice suit of stolen armor in Ebonheart, I don't think that anyone's going to be asking too many questions. That way, the Imperials are still law-abiding citizens who would never condone illegal acts against local Dunmer authorities, but at the same time don't have a problem letting things slide when there are no consequences foreseen.
02-15-2006, 09:49 PM,

just saying, Thieves Guild is better than Cammona in the Imperials' eyes...
but they are criminals... with less killing in their record and more stealing and lesser felonies
02-15-2006, 09:54 PM,

I know some people will bitch slap me for even saying this ( Confusedlap: ), but what if we just got rid of the Thieves Guild?

I know, they are one of my more favorite guilds in Morrowind, but perhaps to solve our problem, they could have been wiped out by the larger and more aggresive Cammora Tong as well as hunted down by the Imperial Guard. Just throwing out idea's. Confusedhrug:
-
02-15-2006, 09:54 PM,

Eh, whatever. The only thing that I'm still pushing for in regard to the Thieves is some way to ensure that they have protection from the Cammona Tong so that they don't just get slaughtered without the Legion's direct oversight in most of Vvardenfell.

I'm also with Ixidor on the Mages being a Vvardenfell, common-man organization rather than Imperial, but neither of these battles is really critical to me. I just think that it would make the story more interesting, and on the Mages' part, more sensible.