Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The test of patterns [claimed]
07-17-2007, 03:24 AM,

Know what we've got to work on now? the 4 tests. A crucial part of Dumac that've been overlooked slightly. I know there should be one done from mw, but i am unaware as to what exactly happens in it. Bob mentioned that he needed the tests laid out to complete the diary, so we should get them done here.

I wasn't here during mw times, so i'll ask bob to please tell us what the first test is, and then give the names and prehaps a short description/example of the other 3. Then we can brainstorm, one at a time.
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
I do work sometimes - I swear!
07-17-2007, 04:09 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Seniosh
Know what we've got to work on now? the 4 tests. A crucial part of Dumac that've been overlooked slightly. I know there should be one done from mw, but I am unaware as to what exactly happens in it. Bob mentioned that he needed the tests laid out to complete the diary, so we should get them done here.

I wasn't here during mw times, so i'll ask bob to please tell us what the first test is, and then give the names and prehaps a short description/example of the other 3. Then we can brainstorm, one at a time.

oops I responded in the other post, but if you like these Ideas I will write up a detailed description and throw in a couple of drafts in the CS (of course they will be in the MW CS)

Diary of Searor Doron [Claimed]

Edit: Here is a simple idea for the test of patterns... just a basic 4 point, the player activates the valves or levers in the correct place and the doorway opens

Big Grin
Enjoy
Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories
07-17-2007, 04:18 PM,

Hmm the ideas in the other post sound good. Test of confrontation is pretty straightforward, and evasion'll be easy to do. The only thing i didn't quite understand was the pattern one. I got the lever-pulling part, the part i didn't quite get was the pattern... How is the player supposed to know what the pattern is?

Here's what i'd say- find some significant dwemer symbol, and then lay the levers out in a grid-like formation. The levers which are part of the pattern are the ones you pull.

Here's my insanely simple drawing, assuming the symbol is a "D" for dumac. The boxes are levers, and the ones with red dots are the ones you pull (the ones crossed by the lines). I'm sure we can figure out a more significant symbol or pattern to base this off of, and then arrange the levers in more suitable positions

[edit] somehow i left out the drawing part... sorry for that
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
07-17-2007, 04:53 PM,

Your insanely simple idea is fine... the levers, or what ever is used can have symbols on them, and the symbols can be the pattern, the same symbols can be located in various places... the diary will help the player through the tests as it will give bits of information

example of what the diary might read:

I have taken particualar note of the detailed markings inscribed into the fixtures which surround the halls. they seem to be arranged in some form of patterns, I havent quite understood it yet, but I am sure after a more careful observation I wil discover their meaning

(so the diary will show some symbols) (but will not give a complete answer) we will answer that by saying that the writer in his excitement of a new discovery failed to write it down...

ANOTHER EXAMPLE:

Symbols

& * # % * # % & # % & * and the fourth pattern which is not written would be obvious if thought about % & * #

so the player would key in the fourth sequence on the levers or door or whatever object we use, by depressing the symbols in order

Enjoy
Bob

07-17-2007, 05:31 PM,

so any idea what symbol to use? The dwemer had to have some really cool inscriptions and such that can be used for that, i just don't know them. Once we get a good symbol, the most practical way to do it can be laid out, according to complexity and such
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
07-17-2007, 06:18 PM,
The test of patterns [claimed]
how bout this:

07-17-2007, 08:03 PM,

I think i get what your saying, though it'll become more clear once we start working on the mechanics and scripts and stuff. Dwemer glyphs work just fine i think. I may be a bit confused on how this works, but what i got out of it was that each lever will have a symbol on it. in order to complete the test, you have to press the levers with the correct symbols, in the order that spells "dumac"
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
07-17-2007, 10:44 PM,

Well yes, but the order of the synbols is the clue to the pattern

and finally

4,21,13,1,3<<< this wont' look this way on the door it will be random.

the pattern being that each symbols moves to the left 1 place and after 4 groups of symbols showing the same pattern the 5th group which could be on the door, which would be opened if the player
keys in the proper order

ENJOY
Bob

Edit: after seeing the 4 other group of symbols and reading the journal the player would approach the door and see the symbols on the door, activate the door and it will give a message box and ask the player to depress the symbols in the correct order

Some fancy message about dwemer stuff should be written
and after each symbol is depressed their could be some sound effect

if the player depresses the incorrect symbol a trap can be activated (whatever we want)

but if each one is keyed correctly we can get that big thunder sound or something and the door will open

10-17-2007, 01:55 PM,

To do some of that you will need a new door with the glyphs animated so they can be activated and move. The rest can be sorted with a script.
[color="#9ACD32"]How do you Skyrim? Show Us in TES Alliance's [url="http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/forum/112-official-skyrim-contest/"]Salute to Skyrim Contest[/url]![/color]
03-28-2008, 02:27 AM,

Ok, lets get some discussion for this going again.

I'm going to have to work on the actual implementation of this very soon, so i want to decide some things about the physical layout.

First, this doesn't look like a very large test. Should it be a fairly small room? Perhaps a heater, some steam pipes running to the levers, and a decent amount of clutter. But not a gigantic test.

We have to have something that you press, pull, or otherwise activate in a special order. This could be a lever, symbol, ect. I personally think that if we set up several levers connected by steam valves, which then lead to the door, it will be fairly obvious that you need to press the levers in some order.

The levers can have their corresponding symbol in some form either immediately above them, or on the floor right in front.

The other symbol patterns, which are the clues to completion, can be on special pillars positioned around the room.

I think there should be a time-limit on the levers, which accomplishes 2 things. 1: The levers have essentially a "reset time" If you press two of the levers in the wrong order, just wait the time limit and try again.
and 2: the reset time will also act as a damage- inflicter. If you press the levers in the incorrect order, or the time runs out, you get zapped. I think it'd be cool to have it inflict steam damage, from pipes nearby.

All this sound good? Sorry if i sound a bit authoritative, it's late at night, and i want to get something set down that i can then mod
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala