Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xae's OST Contributions (BM Soundtrack)
11-11-2010, 09:03 PM,

What about an arena in Lilmoth then?

Edit:
I know that was maybe a little offtopic, but i didn't see that before after i posted.
11-11-2010, 09:22 PM,

Not sure about that yet. Arenas aren't popular with some fans...we'll see.

Yeah, a bit off-topic but it's nice to see that you noticed. It's like 'forum etiquette' around here. Wink
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
11-21-2010, 04:21 AM,

Insomnia. Yay.

Marshland Timbres.
11-21-2010, 05:48 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Xae
Insomnia. Yay.

Marshland Timbres.

Seriously? This is what you do when insomnia hits? I wish insomnia affected me in such a productive way.... Big Grin

I like this new music piece. It did have a darker "tune", but not too dark. Had a nice beat to it, too.

PS - I am still working on the music spreadsheet for renaming interior cells, though I've had to pause on it for a couple weeks now. I'm about halfway done with the spreadsheet on my end, then I'll send it to Ibsen for him to check. After that, the interior cells will be renamed and the scripts applied to them. This is just a quick update for you, Xae.

Koniption
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool
11-21-2010, 10:01 AM,

Thanks, Kp.

Many of my pieces are the result of two consecutive nights of insomnia, such as Dragonfly Bastion. The wee hours of the night are good for creativity. If I were to wager an explanation as to why, I'd say it's because it somehow doesn't feel real. You're not meant to be awake, and it's like dreaming. The world is gone for a few hours and you can focus entirely on the music.

Though, that doesn't mean having to get up the morning after sucks any less.
11-21-2010, 11:44 AM,

My thoughts exactly...I've been there. =)
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
12-01-2010, 12:40 AM,

I've just listened to the Marshland Timbres track you posted - I like the use of the Ngoni in particular, though the effects achieved with the bass clarinet are very cool, too. Smile

I also got absorbed in the theory section of your blog and lost track of time - it's nice to have the breakdown of various pieces of music.

I've realised that I didn't reply to your previous comment about Schoenberg's Theory of Harmony, so I'll do so now. I agree that his argument about parallel fifths is very compelling, though I've noticed that all of his arguments a very well thought through. I've been working my way through the book, and am astounded by Schoenberg's explanation of how stuff works - something I never got from Walter Piston! Also, his descriptions of tonality (for example, the tonic being a government and other notes trying to wrest power away) turned a light bulb on in my head - I can see quite clearly how to tell a story with instrumental music.

Thanks again for recommending it. Time for me to track down his "Preliminary Exercises in Counterpoint" (amongst others). Smile
12-01-2010, 07:30 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by nick_op
I've just listened to the Marshland Timbres track you posted - I like the use of the Ngoni in particular, though the effects achieved with the bass clarinet are very cool, too. Smile

I also got absorbed in the theory section of your blog and lost track of time - it's nice to have the breakdown of various pieces of music.

That is good to hear. I've been meaning to start a music theory blog for years, focusing on modern video game music.

Quote:Originally posted by nick_op
I've realised that I didn't reply to your previous comment about Schoenberg's Theory of Harmony, so I'll do so now. I agree that his argument about parallel fifths is very compelling, though I've noticed that all of his arguments a very well thought through. I've been working my way through the book, and am astounded by Schoenberg's explanation of how stuff works - something I never got from Walter Piston! Also, his descriptions of tonality (for example, the tonic being a government and other notes trying to wrest power away) turned a light bulb on in my head - I can see quite clearly how to tell a story with instrumental music.

Thanks again for recommending it. Time for me to track down his "Preliminary Exercises in Counterpoint" (amongst others). Smile

You're quite welcome, and I'm glad. Schoenberg indeed spends a lot of time between the theoretical explanations to go over deeper, arguably non-theoretical explanations, as well as some various philosophical tangents. I think that's where my fondness of him comes from, the way he sees music (or art as a whole) as beauty first and theory second.

"This reward, which surprises the fully active searcher on a plane higher than that of his expectations, always appears of its own accord in true art and in true morality."

Almost a bit dreamy, I'd say, and obviously spoken out of both love for and deference to the subject.
12-01-2010, 12:22 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Xae
That is good to hear. I've been meaning to start a music theory blog for years, focusing on modern video game music.
I think it's great! It gives me chance to pick up some theory that I likely otherwise wouldn't know.
Quote:"This reward, which surprises the fully active searcher on a plane higher than that of his expectations, always appears of its own accord in true art and in true morality."

Almost a bit dreamy, I'd say, and obviously spoken out of both love for and deference to the subject.
I've found the inclusion of his philosophy allows a deeper insight into the subject, and serves to stop the text from being too dry.

I do like how he makes the student set up the exercises, too, and ask questions as they are doing so. The book teaches how to think in a way that others I've come across don't. It makes me excited to read his other books!
02-27-2011, 02:21 AM,

Ok, I'm more or less back from a hiatus. Lots of things have been siphoning all of my spare time since before Christmas. There's not much to say about it except perhaps that I can now say "I love you" in Japanese.

In any case, I added something for Stormhold interiors, though I'll be focusing on the establishment signs next with the time I have available.