Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zarf's Imperial Fort
09-11-2006, 04:19 PM,

Ed.Rw 060916, 09:33 C.E.T.: Cut from Open jobs for modellers
I was told a while back that we need Imperial castle walls. If somebody can provide me with some good screenshots, I can get to work making textures right away. Can't make models untill I get home tonight though. Not only that, but I don't have Morrowind or the construction set with me. :/

And Hoss, RW can put up with me, so I'm pretty sure he can put up with you. Don't worry about it, just get some progress screenshots. Do your best! Big Grin
.:.::..::: Zarf - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbU_YqGZF5Y"]WARNING: Do not fall down mountains[/url] :::..::.:.
09-11-2006, 05:25 PM,

Yeah, just forge a few progress screenshots and they'll think you're doing work. That's been working for me. Smile

Oops, was that darn mic live?,
Steve
09-12-2006, 12:24 AM,

Zarf:

[Image: ImperialFortExampleMaxRender_th.jpg]

First, please download the Imperial Fort reference archive to get the textures. Then please download the example max scene, which looks like the render above. You might have to set up the texture paths to get them to display, but if that's the case I think you can avoid it if you first place the textures and the max scene in the same folder and then open it in Max. The Max scene should give a decent impression of which textures are used where. Then again since the render is so high-res you could probably tell just from looking at it, but still, I thought I might as well include it. Sorry for putting it as a file on FileFront but it's the only way I could get it to upload at that resolution.

Oh, and if someone is thinking of taking up the Imperial Fort modelling claim, do *not* use that Max scene for anything other than checking it out (if you feel like it). I didn't arrange the pieces very carefully and you'd be better off starting over. Big Grin
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
09-15-2006, 11:26 PM,

I tried downloading them again (Accidently deleted the ones on my laptop) and it wouldn't download. I got to a screen that said "Please wait while we contact the download server..." and 15 minutes later hadn't budged.
.:.::..::: Zarf - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbU_YqGZF5Y"]WARNING: Do not fall down mountains[/url] :::..::.:.
09-16-2006, 07:08 AM,

it works for me.....
[1ST]T[/1ST]his is what a heightmap looks like, this is what it does when it catches hold of you, it's eating me alive and very soon now it will kill me.
09-16-2006, 07:20 AM,

Interesting. They worked for me just now too. Big Grin

Anyway, I have three parts of the tileset done. It took me forever to figure out how I wanted to execute this thing, but now that I've got a plan I'm very confident the results will look good.

One is a straight wall, another is a 90 degree outside turn, and the other is a 90 degree inside turn. I think the staircases are going to be the hardest thing to make, but only time will tell. I'll post a render once I get the blasted light tracer to work properly, and then we can go about figuring out how to embelish these things. We don't want them to look exactly like they did in Morrowind, do we? Big Grin
09-16-2006, 07:22 AM,

Works for me too, at least now. After a moment you should be given a textmessage that says "Your download is ready. Please click this link to start the download."

Edit:
Aah, kk. I'm glad it's working again. : D
Oh, and I extracted this discussion into a new thread. Can't wait to see the first WIP shots! :goodjob:
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
09-16-2006, 07:45 AM,

First WIP shots?

WIP it good!

[Image: imp-1.jpg]

I figured since you really wanted them, you could have them. These are the three peices I mentioned earlier, all have been optimized a bit. And I finally figured out how to get the light tracer working properly, but I haven't the slightest idea what I was doing wrong. It was rendering the meshes as pure black. Big Grin

EDIT: Closeup of the details up top.

[Image: imp-2.jpg]

These things are a snap to tile right now. Of course, texturing them will be quite a challenge. I might make a high poly version of each stone and place it one on top of the other to make the texture, but only time will tell.
09-16-2006, 08:05 AM,

looks good, but you should be able to walk on it, maybe you remember from MW...

anyway, great work so far! :goodjob:
[1ST]T[/1ST]his is what a heightmap looks like, this is what it does when it catches hold of you, it's eating me alive and very soon now it will kill me.
09-16-2006, 08:07 AM,

It looks wonderful! :goodjob:

It's going to look so cool with patrolling soldiers up there, like nothing gamers have seen in the vanilla game. Imagine how surprised players playing criminal characters would be when they stroll up to the door in a cocky manner and are suddenly pelted with arrows from the battlement Big Grin
Angel mired in filth