Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bal Molagmer. replacement of the Vvar thieves guild?
11-19-2006, 06:54 AM,
Bal Molagmer. replacement of the Vvar thieves guild?
I had an idea earlier today. In TES3, Gentleman Jim Stacey (the former leader of the thieves guild) attempted to bring back a faction called the Bal Molagmer. Unlike the Thieves Guild, the Bal Molagmer were totally selfless. They used stealth and trickery to return items to their rightful owners, aid the poor, and defend them against the greedy and corrupt. By the time Stacey left for his homeland of Hammerfell, the player had succeeded in spreading the word; the Bal Molagmer were back.

So let's think logically. Is it not very possible that the thieves guild has been wiped out by the Cammona Tong after six years? I think so...I also think that the Bal Molagmer could have grown rapidly, since any threats would have been focused on the TG.

So instead of making a new Thieves Guild branch, let's be creative! A new, completely lore-friendly faction with morals and goals different from the Thieves Guild. Like the Morag Tong...the Bal Molagmer should be difficult to find. The Headquarters hidden somewhere remote, a place that only someone who knew where it was could find. Entrance inside a silt-strider shell, in a remote area of the Ashlands? That's one idea...

The Mainquest...I have no idea. Maybe it could involve the Cammona Tong or the House Wars. The assignment quests would be like they were in Morrowind, find <insert greedy/corrupt/etc noble/guard/etc's name here> steal <insert heirloom/deed/etc here> and return it to <insert widow/poor citizen/war veteran/hermit/etc here>. With, of course, the frequent interesting/odd/fun assignment.

Bal Molagmer armor would be awesome. Don't know what it would look like, but it would look awesome. :yes:

So what do you guys think?
11-19-2006, 07:31 AM,

attachment
11-19-2006, 11:35 AM,

Since the Hlaalu are on the ascendant, the Imperial Guilds are winning - isn't it more likely that the Cammona Tong will be deep sixed?

The Morag Tong is openly Hlaalu supported and all the other Great Houses too, but the Cammona Tong on the other hand is definitely working against the Hlaalu Imperial leanings.

The Theives Guild on the other hand is just out for the gold coinage and is ephemeral.

Your new Guild might better replace the Camonna Tong, but I do not thing that is likely either is such a short space of time - so I would suggest that the best decision might be simply whether to add the new Guild into a three-way split on crime. Gives more choice...

The racist, pseudo-patriotic Cammona Tong,
the honestly greedy Thieves Guild and
the new Guild that supports 'dishonest' thievery?

:confused: ? Big Grin
Because loyalty is not to be spoken of and honour is to be endured. Whilst courage is to be survived. These virtues belong to silence.
Steven Erikson.

But, if one man does nothing can he be said to be good? raggidman
11-19-2006, 03:40 PM,

Raggidman, the Bal Molagmer isn't a "new guild". Did you do the Bal Molagmer quests in TES3? They were honorable thieves. A guild of Robin Hoods.
11-19-2006, 05:50 PM,

yes... and not many would know Bal Molagmer are actually Jim Stacey's like robin hood gang... Camonna tong probably wouldn't know either... Bal Molagmer were an ancient society and revived in a sense by Jim Stacey...

however in our TES4 Vvardenfell... Thieves Guild is like... dead.. slaughtered you might say
just to show what happens when you put a fledgling criminal organization at the doorstep of on ethe of most powerful criminal syndicates in Morrowing... but anyways its a good idea I think... perhaps a few small quests dealing with that... I dunno about a full-fledged guild... since... it really was only a small gang of Thieves Guild elites doing it... and most of the Thieves Guild is dead in our mod.. conveniently replaced by a more versatile and wide-ranging Camonna Tong, though the joining process might be tougher
11-19-2006, 06:44 PM,

I think there should be some TG left here, but the Bal Moragmer should be more like a secret, maybe some rumours about them, odd bits and ends. It should be possible to have them exist in the mod, I want to see more of them.
11-19-2006, 09:39 PM,

well I'm not saying they're all dead... maybe only a few survivors that you can ask and if you get real friendly they'll whimper and tell you how many got murdered at night or whatever.... Confusedhrug:

maybe Jim Stacey and like 2-3 others have a small Bal Molagmer group and are secretly contacting ex-guild thieves survivors to congregate in secret as Bal Molagmer?
11-19-2006, 10:24 PM,

Since the Hlaalu are on the ascendant, the Imperial Guilds are winning - isn't it more likely that the Cammona Tong will be deep sixed?

The Morag Tong is openly Hlaalu supported and all the other Great Houses too, but the Cammona Tong on the other hand is definitely working against the Hlaalu Imperial leanings - and was conected with the 6th House ...

As for the Bal Molagmer - nevver 'eard ovvit.

I was not too into murder when I played Morrowind, and a Thieves Guild that starts out a player assassinatin people is way out of my idea of Theivin'. Theft = steal, pick pocket stuff like that at the start - the question of enforcement should be higher level not starter - that is the difference between the Morag tong and the Thieves Guild - otherwise you just got 2 Guilds of Assassins - my 2 cents = seein each guild as a collection of individuals that co-operate on some levels and compete on others, and so policy is more likely to change than overall numbers. Because once you have money you ca always hire on more...
Because loyalty is not to be spoken of and honour is to be endured. Whilst courage is to be survived. These virtues belong to silence.
Steven Erikson.

11-19-2006, 11:24 PM,

@raggidman: I don't really get what you're saying O_o. The Bal Molagmer definately don't murder people.
@Kukulza: I think it is likely that after six years, the Bal Molagmer could have grown into a full-fledged faction, given the circumstances and advantages they had.
11-19-2006, 11:34 PM,

serico, was trying to explain why I never went the Thieves Guild Road, and so never heard of the Bal Molagmer.

However my route took me into an analysis of what feel to be the shortcomings of the Theives Guild.

Having a sub-faction withing the Guild that does not like th emurdering path that the Thieves Guild has taken therefore makes sense to me.

And I am saying have 2 separate Guilds = Thieves Guild and Cammona Tong, and then do the break-up and division of the Thieves Guild into the 2 factions in-game. Far more satisfyin'.
Steven Erikson.